Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo with NA 5-sp Hi/Lo?

bean

Hi everyone...

My wagon with a rebuilt EA82T and 3 sp auto is dying of structiural rust. Too far gone to save unfortunately.

I found a replacement GL-10 T (auto) wagon that was abandoned at a friends garage after it was diagnosed with a cracked head. Bought the car for $150 and now I want to upgrade it before I drop the motor into it.

Can anyone tell me what year the 4-sp auto went into GL-10's? I have a 5-sp hi/lo conversion (with 3.9 diff) I was planning for my car this summer, but it was from an NA engined car. Would it hold up to the Turbo engine? Would the smaller axles?

I will rally-x this car, and do the odd ice race, but the tranny will run Redline 75-80 NS to keep it safe - I wonder if it will still explode...

If it had the 4-sp (I've yet to even open the doors - bought after quick visual check for rust), I may leave it in, but if it is the 3sp, then I really want the 5-sp manual in it. Gas mileage is terrible (normal - I know), and it revs at 4000 RPM on the highway, so I want to put in something to bring the revs down and hopefully get increase highway mileage.

BTW - Other plans are:

Top mount intercooler

14" Pug alloys with performance tires

BOV

Boost gauge

12 psi

Thanks for any and all advice!

Rabin

I have been driving my GL-10 Turbo Sedan with a 3.900 D/R tranny for almost 2 years now, the tranny is still like it was the day I put it in. I did change the rear diff you one out of teh Turbo Legacy, so I have a 3.900 VLSD rear diff.

I believe the 4 speed autos came in late 88 and 89, but I don't believe they are switchable with the 3 speed. The 4 speed has a computer control, the 3 speed doesn't.

Thanks guys! I was worried a bit about putting considerably more power through it, but now I'm convinced!

The 4-sp AUTO *may* be in the new car since I don't even know what year it is, or even opened the hood for that matter! So my motor would just get dropped in.

I'm assuming it's an 87', so my plan for the 5-sp hi/lo is pretty definite. I'd love to find a 3.9 VLSD, but that can wait until after I get the swap complete and the body brought back up to snuff. It has some rust (more body rust than my wagon), but the undercarrage is pristine compared to mine. Most of the body rust is in the front fenders - and my car has fresh ones - so my present car is the perfect parts car for this new purchase.

Plan right now is to get the mechanical swap done ASAP - so now I have to find all the parts I collected to make sure I have enough for the swap!

Is the cross member for the 5-sp manditory? That may be the only piece I don't have...

Thanks again!

Yes, the crossmember for the 5 speed is mandatory.. its bigger and sits further forward on the tranny.. the 5 spd actually uses both crossmembers, but the smaller, short one(the only one on an auto) isn't really necessary.

Make sure you get the little rubber bushings with the 5 speed xmember

I'll have to inventory all the stuff I have, then see what I'm missing before I can go ahead with the swap.

BTW - I was towing my ice racer (505 Peugeot 5-sp) around this weekend with my wagon in 4WD and I think I buggered the clutch pack transmitting power to the rear wheels - car is now 2WD - push button does nothing. Nothing else would tow it in the icy snowy conditions - 2wd truck couldn't even move it.

Good thing the car is dead and the 5-sp swap is going it :)

Thanks for th heads up on the rear cross member!

Rabin

if your car dos have the 4spd auto these tranys are hard to come by and are worth a prity penny. mine is blown in my 88 gl-10 (over heats and spues fluid out the vent tube) but it drives find anyway i saw just at 2000 rpm at 80 mph or there abouts. so if you do take it out sell it on ebay or somthing.

Found out the build date was 07/ 87 so I'm pretty sure it's a 3-sp. This means the 5-sp is a definite go if I have the parts to do the swap. My only worry is the flywheel, and the tranny cross member.

Does the console have 1 2 3 D in a 4-sp? Is so then I KNOW it's a 3-sp as it only had the 1 2 D.

I slalom a MINT 505 Turbo GL 5-sp in the summer (Built for SCCA in the 80's - tripper with all the go fast bits :)

Ice racer is a regular 505 XN6 (90 HP) 5-sp that has a lot of lightening - I actually cut the trunk off entirely!! Have yet to race, but it should be fun - gotta LOVE RWD. The class has a build budget of $500 otherwise my choice would have been a 4WD Subie - no luck finding one cheap so I did a Pug.

Rabin

You guys make me sick down there buyin' subies so cheap! Course a nice Loyale will still go for $5G up here. Unfortunately rust is the big enemy so they often rust out the unibody rails under the front foot wells - which also anchor the front suspension trailing links. Either their beaters, or primo examples getting top dollar.

That's what happened to my 86 wagon - just too much $$$ to fix. Lucklily the new 87' wagon is in much better shape. I will most likely do a quick swap to get it mobile, then take it off the road in the summer for a complete go through complete with new paint.

The 4sp auto tranny came on '88 XTs and XT6es. It was the only auto tranny for that and subsequent years. It was a step up from the 3AT in '88 and '89, so it was somewhat rarer (and only available on GL10 models). I don't think it ever made it into a 3-door from the factory.

As for the console, it's exactly the same as the 3AT:

3AT = P-R-N-D-2-1

4EAT=P-R-N-D-3-2 and has a button just aft of the console marked 1HOLD. This is the first-gear lock in. It would be the same as 1st gear on the console, only since (1) Subaru already had the tooling for the consoles and (2) the tranny was electrically controlled, they decided to put a knockout on the console and add the button for the few 4EATs that were sold. I have no idea what/where/how these transmissions were available on Loyales after 1990, but I know they were used in the XT until 1991 and adapted for use in the Legacy and SVX later on.