Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to prevent a kinked (flattened) radiator hose?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sub87dl

sub87dl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cleveland, OH

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:57 AM

As a result of cutting the old radiator hose off when I pulled it at the JY, I now have a situation where a replacement radiator hose is turning too sharply and kinking, or "flattening" as a result. The hose is definitely the proper length and diameter, it's just going through too sharp a turn to hold its shape.
What is the solution to getting the hose to stay fully expanded and not restrict flow by collapsing at the bend?
This particular hose has one of those "spring" things at one end, which is helping, but where can I get another "spring" for the other end?

Thanks,
Luke

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,104 posts
  • WA

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:13 AM

You may have to get a molded hose.
Rob

#3 sub87dl

sub87dl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cleveland, OH

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:29 AM

I've never heard of molded hose before. Is that something available from auto parts stores, or do I have to get it from the dealer? Any info appreciated, thanks,
Luke

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:37 AM

A molded hose is one that is created specifically for your application.. generally available at any parts store

#5 Mikldom

Mikldom

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • E.C NC and Tidewater, VA

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:46 PM

Advance has hoses of various lengths that can be turned and twisted into any shape. They have a spring inside to keep from getting kinked.

I have one that is about 10inches long for the lower radiator hose in my desert camo 6inch lifted brat.

Just thought I would add my expierence.

Mike
mikldom@yahoo.com

#6 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

I need a "molded" hose too. Top hose on Summer is an inch too short. How come the good folks at Pep Boys didn't suggest this in the first place? I went down to Pep Boys chasing a hose and they said "we do it just by application so you need to tell me what it's going in". Hummmm........they didn't have my buggy on file? Why didn't they suggest the universal?

Just whinning..........:boohoo:

Glenn,
82 SubaruHummer........
01 Forester, bent but not broken!

#7 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:57 PM

actual molded hoses, should be the ones that are preformed per application at pep boys or any other auto store. they are pre bent. or at least that's what they have been reffered to at the auto stores and around home.

i don't know about the spring inside of a hose... never seen one.

#8 ru4x4ever

ru4x4ever

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:41 PM

The sping ones work good but if you just bought that one in the area of said bend put some zip ties (bigger ones) on that bend and it will keep it from bending! I have done this trick on my old motor. good luck -Sean

#9 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:35 PM

You know -

Napa has a book with pictures and end sizes of all the hoses we sell. I've cobbled together stuff for people who have done some bastardized things to their vehicles (Chevy PU with a boneyard diesel's radiator was the worst). Just find someone who is willing to actually work instead of give you cr*p like "we only list by application"

#10 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:45 PM

just a thought if this is a stock set up there should be no need to get all crazy with custom hoses and the like. lots of time hoses are "cut to fit" if I am guessing correctly you are working on the upper hose from the t.stat housing? most of the time those come a little long and need a little triming to fit properly. be more specific what kind of car? what hose? what kind of hose did you get and from where?

Partsman is correct about getting a parts person that knows how to open a book. I used to do parts years ago. a dificult job with plenty of stress.

#11 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:00 PM

But it's great for those with adult ADD - lots of quick projects to keep us entertained!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users