Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to prevent a kinked (flattened) radiator hose?

As a result of cutting the old radiator hose off when I pulled it at the JY, I now have a situation where a replacement radiator hose is turning too sharply and kinking, or "flattening" as a result. The hose is definitely the proper length and diameter, it's just going through too sharp a turn to hold its shape.

What is the solution to getting the hose to stay fully expanded and not restrict flow by collapsing at the bend?

This particular hose has one of those "spring" things at one end, which is helping, but where can I get another "spring" for the other end?

Thanks,

Luke

I need a "molded" hose too. Top hose on Summer is an inch too short. How come the good folks at Pep Boys didn't suggest this in the first place? I went down to Pep Boys chasing a hose and they said "we do it just by application so you need to tell me what it's going in". Hummmm........they didn't have my buggy on file? Why didn't they suggest the universal?

Just whinning..........:boohoo:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer........

01 Forester, bent but not broken!

actual molded hoses, should be the ones that are preformed per application at pep boys or any other auto store. they are pre bent. or at least that's what they have been reffered to at the auto stores and around home.

i don't know about the spring inside of a hose... never seen one.

You know -

Napa has a book with pictures and end sizes of all the hoses we sell. I've cobbled together stuff for people who have done some bastardized things to their vehicles (Chevy PU with a boneyard diesel's radiator was the worst). Just find someone who is willing to actually work instead of give you cr*p like "we only list by application"

just a thought if this is a stock set up there should be no need to get all crazy with custom hoses and the like. lots of time hoses are "cut to fit" if I am guessing correctly you are working on the upper hose from the t.stat housing? most of the time those come a little long and need a little triming to fit properly. be more specific what kind of car? what hose? what kind of hose did you get and from where?

Partsman is correct about getting a parts person that knows how to open a book. I used to do parts years ago. a dificult job with plenty of stress.