Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted XT6 with air suspension

XT6 with 2" lift and air suspension properly working now. Took some playing around and there's less freedom with the air suspension, but I got it to work and kept the air which is cool as I like it.

Got another 1.25" from 05 Forester XT Turbo wheels. So far rides great, we'll see how it all holds up.

Camera phone pics attached.

post-6800-136027634069_thumb.jpg

post-6800-136027634071_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Wow, only one response on this post?
yeah, i know right? it's either me or the XT6, i can't figure it out :lol:

So how is it holding up?
holding up great, it's my daily driver. doesn't drive as nice and cush, but i guess that's the nature of a lift. i like the height right where it's at.

drove it 4,000 miles to Colorado, towing a full 6x10 trailer, up a nutty mountain pass to 10,000 feet. that was pretty awesome. here's a picture most of the way up the pass:

post-6800-136027637436_thumb.jpg

Edited by grossgary

Huh, I don't even remember seeing this thread a few months go? I'm glad it popped up again! I remember you talking about do it but didn't know if you carried it thru or not - guess so!

Looks awesome, I don't see many lifted XTs. I like those Forest wheels too.

As for a lift effecting how it rides/handels. I dunno my wagon seems to ride the same, better tires sure helped alot though :)

-Tom :)

Huh, I don't even remember seeing this thread a few months go?
yeah, right around the time you were doing yours i think i asked you about orientation of the rears - outer or inner, something.

As for a lift effecting how it rides/handels. I dunno my wagon seems to ride the same, better tires sure helped alot though :)
hmmm, maybe the XT6 is different, air suspension?, or i need to check something out?

yeah gary, its freakin sweet!! im very tempted to do mine, but dont want to get rid of the air suspension because it all works great. but hey, maybe when it fails, this will be a good option. you cant bend the mounts for the rear struts so they wont be on an angle and leak?? hey those forester wheels are 16in?

Edited by themoneypit

you cant bend the mounts for the rear struts so they wont be on an angle and leak??
i believe because the trailing arm gets pulled "forward" when it's pushed down by rotating on that front mount, it's actually a front to back kind of angle which would compromise the metal to bend the mount that way. i'm sure there's some solution i just haven't messed with it yet.

What lift did you use, Scott or did Bill make you a kit?
i used scotts.

maybe the rear coil overs are more rough, i can't recall if it was like that with the air suspension or not. maybe i'll have to try those again, and yes i remember making my rears orient the same as yours.

i didn't install anything but strut extensions though so i've got nice angles on my front CV's.

i used scotts.

maybe the rear coil overs are more rough, i can't recall if it was like that with the air suspension or not. maybe i'll have to try those again, and yes i remember making my rears orient the same as yours.

i didn't install anything but strut extensions though so i've got nice angles on my front CV's.

Same here, the angle isn't too bad and havn't had any repecautions (spell) from it yet.

Yeah, Forester XT Turbo 16" wheels, they have a slightly different tire size than most typical Subaru 16" rims that I've had (like GT's, OBW's, and WRX).

Yeah speedo is definitely off since the XT6 comes with dinky 14"ers, I don't care about that.

Mileage is terrible at the moment like 21-ish no matter what kind of driving I do, haven't gotten around to O2 sensor and tracking that down yet. Once it's running right it should be 25-30.

They're a really weak design for a 6, only 145hp, siamesed exhaust ports - they're literally just an EA82 with two extra cylinders slapped on. The 6 helps it a lot though. The 4 cylinder FWD manual XT's can get 40 all highway driving. The lift I guess might hit it more than I think though.

Edited by grossgary

a lifted xt6 ? really ? .......really ? nice car man , i love mine - but in my opinion ( i know who gives a s**t ) some vehicles are better off low or slammed . the xt6 is ( again in my opinion ) one of those vehicles ! i do really like the wheels , i would like to stuff some bigger meats under my 6 . btw i got 27 mpg on the last road trip , driveing AGRESSIVELY , mostly backroads -nice and curvey - lots of passing in the straights ! :grin:

true, good point, gas mileage doesn't affect me in any way, mostly a novelty.

you can start you're own "i like it low" thread, that's disgusting, you don't have to come into a thread about a lifted XT6 to talk about liking them low. :lol: i've owned like 20 XT6's in 17 years and i'm all about function. having a low car doesn't get me through the fields to put 5 deer in my XT6:grin:

if you're not a member of the subaruxt.com forum, you might want to go check it out and roll around the floor with all your nonfunctional, impractical low riding buddies!:lol: for real, go join over there for all your XT specific needs and a neat community.

Edited by grossgary

• 4 months later...

The moneypit is asking questions in PM's so here's the answers.

EJ front strut extensions and EA rears. Have to be tweaked and drilled to accomodate the air lines if you're retaining the stock air suspension like I did. I used SJR stuff.

The common 205 55/16" tires on WRX and all sorts of other 16" subaru rims fit with no problem.

I'm currently running 215 60/16 (forester XT Turbo) and 225 55/16 (H6 OBW) tires and they fit as well but you have to bend the metal mud gaurd on the front air strut for those to clear or they'll rub. Just push them in by hand, real simple. Not sure how spring struts affect tire size, though it would only be different in the front, if at all.

I like the extra clearance, visibility, and height for getting in out of the car without sacrificing handling like my truck which I don't like as a daily driver at all.