Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found out today that the subaru engine was shot, the dealership hooked it up to the diagnostic only to tell me what I already knew, that there was something wrong with the engine!

they wanted 1500.00 to break engine down, then they said it would probably need a new engine engine anyway, and that would be 2000.00 plus labor and associated parts.

Obviosly I'm not going to the thieves, but what I'm writing to ask is if anyone can help me with how best to contact subaru of north america, and get them to help out. The engine has 65,000 miles on it, 5000 over my warranty.

The engine oil level was low, about a quart, but no oil light came on to indicate a pressure problem, i know there are alot of factors that would cause this, but I gotta tell ya if this doesn't work out I'm no longer watching anymore Ken Block Videos.

The problem is aknock that develops around 2700 rpm, its a 2005 subaru impreza 2.5 rs.

The one quart low on oil did not cause this. If that caused engine failure then nearly every Subaru prior to 1998 would be dead by now since most leak oil at some point in their life. :lol::lol:

The first thing is to make absolutely sure it is rod knock, that's a huge diagnosis to just assume is right. But by your brief description, occurring at higher RPM's, that does sound like rod knock which EJ25's are "known" for. It's not "common" but more so than any other Subaru engine.

But want to make sure it's not piston slap, oil pump, bad timing tensioner (which could possibly fail only under load or higher RPM's), or valves.

That being said, I have heard of folks getting work done just beyond limits, but seems like a crap shoot rather than special strings to pull. Good luck, hope you figure something out. Sometimes they may even "split the cost", etc.

Can you talk to the managers, etc? I would try and meet with them more than once. I would explore all possible options and try to maintain a relationship with that dealer before proceeding to folks you have no connection to at all.

Your history has a lot to do here. If you bought the car and had it maintained at the same dealer and have a good relationship with them you're much more likely to get help than if you just bought the car 2 months ago and have never talked to these guys before.

What Gary said^.. Plus dont going in all hot under the collar...getting mean gets you no where really. Having a good good relationship with the dealer is key. I just got a new front brake system from mine for no cost. ( 08 Imp) and I am beyond the original warranty..and its something not included in my extended.

Found out today that the subaru engine was shot, the dealership hooked it up to the diagnostic only to tell me what I already knew, that there was something wrong with the engine!

they wanted 1500.00 to break engine down, then they said it would probably need a new engine engine anyway, and that would be 2000.00 plus labor and associated parts.

Obviosly I'm not going to the thieves, but what I'm writing to ask is if anyone can help me with how best to contact subaru of north america, and get them to help out. The engine has 65,000 miles on it, 5000 over my warranty.

The engine oil level was low, about a quart, but no oil light came on to indicate a pressure problem, i know there are alot of factors that would cause this, but I gotta tell ya if this doesn't work out I'm no longer watching anymore Ken Block Videos.

The problem is aknock that develops around 2700 rpm, its a 2005 subaru impreza 2.5 rs.

Time for some education. The oil pressure light only tells you if there is a failure in oil pressure, not loss of volume. you can have as little as 1 qt of oil in the pan, and the light wont come on, but that is not enough oil to put off an engine failure. Oil needs a specific volume in the pan to halpe shed heat. If the oil cant shed the heat, it will break down and fail.

Who determined it is only down 1 qt? How was this conclusion made. Usually when i hear engine knock and it was down 1 qt means it was worse then that. Last time i rebuilt an engine for someone that they said it was just one qt down, it was down to 1 qt of oil.

You can try talking to subaru, but you better look like the nicest guy on the face of the earth, making Mr Rodgers look like a mass murderer. Right now the only leg you have to stand on is the low mileage of the engine. If the oil level was full, then you would have a case. Talk to the regional zone rep. You also should have all the oil change reciepts, as that would bolster your case. Also ignoring an oil leak (if they found evidence of one) is another knock against you. Hoesntly what oil change intervals had you been using, what oil, and how often did you check it.

Good Luck

nipper