Ultimate Subaru Message Board

URGENT -- Brake Question

My friends soob is losing Brake fluid. When it gets low there is a grinding noise noticed. Is there any relation between the two, or just a coincidence???

A few weeks ago we did a lot of work to the front and rear brakes, everthing was fine until this past Saturday, she noticed a grinding, checked the fluid and it was low (just above the where the float would make contact) she added fluid and they sounded fine.

Yesterday the fluid level was fine. This morning the grinding was back, and again the fluid was low.

WTF? Any hints tips on isolating the leak? My method is to pull the wheels one at a time and poke around for leaks.

THanks

Get some axle stands and lift the car, preferably all four wheels at a time. Take the wheels off, and have some apply medium pressure to the brakes - engine off - while you check for leaks. The flexible hoses, where the join, the bleeder screws, around the pistons.

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

if its got rear drums check the wheel cylinders.. i could see how they could leak fluid in the drum then start grinding.. a starting point at least..

Sorry for the lack of info..

It is an XT6, so it has disks on all 4 wheels.

What's it look like under the master c.? Might want to try putting a rag under it at night. That is how I figured out my hill holder was leaking and not the m.c. in the brat. I know you have snow on the ground as well so it'll be a pain but you could also put rags under each caliper. It could be a leaky caliper. If it was a line in the engine bay you'd notice it being wet and all but just in case you could take a hose and spray the frame rails. If there is brake fluid there it'll develop a white film on top of the water (almost like water and oil makes the rainbow film). Aside from that I'm kinda at a loss for the grinding noise. Provided one of the pistons isn't stuck open and the pad is grinding against it. Very unlikely but possible but more than likely it would pull when braking. Also how were the dust shields on the calipers? Could one have majorly went south and let enough crud in to hurt the seal?

Again I apologise for the lack of details...

It is an auto, so no hill holder involved.

The dust seals were pretty tore up, are they part of a caliper rebuild kit? What else is in the kit?

Meeky, Set and Ben, thanks for the tips. I'll be checking it out tonight.

I figured it was an auto. Just trying to give ideas for sourcing where the fluid is going. It worked great on the Brat.

The dust sleeve should be part of any rebuild kit. Word of advice though rebuilding 'em is hard as crap from what I understand. Most garages don't even do it anymore.