Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought another Subie, but it's missing some parts...

My Hubby loves his 1994 Sube Legacy 2.2 (with 220K!!:eek:) that when he found a 1993 Sube Legacy 2.2 (with 180K!!) for cheap (and from a southern state=no rust :banana:) he just had to jump on it. But there is a hitch-- it was in the midst of having the water pump and timing belt changed when the owner decided to up and go back home to the south. Since the car was undriveable, he told his family up here to just sell it "as is, where is" because he didn't want to put more money into fixing it just to sell it. (I guess our "northern state climate" didn't agree with him :grin:).

So this long story shortened, DH is working on putting it back together and realizes it is "missing" a few parts. Like the gasket for the timing cover (half is there, other half is missing), and the bolt for the pulley on the front of the motor that (he believes) is for the crankshaft.

So.... can you help us out, point us in the right direction for finding these parts at (preferrably) Autozone, or some other good parts store.:o:-\ :D Many thanks in advance....

i doubt the timing cover gasket is critical, at least i hope not since i'm not using one.

the crank pulley bolt should be easy to find, some one here should have one or even from the dealer it shouldn't be too bad.

( part number - 800213030, $3.50 online plus shipping; retail at the local dealer - $4.50)

but someone has one.

Edited by johnceggleston

What stage is DH at right now? Are you trying to refurbish/reseal the front end or just slap it back together?

While it's opened up would be a great time to replace timing belt and idlers, perhaps the tensioner, new cam and crank seals, cam o-rings, oil pump reseal, water pump, thermostat, hoses.

Here are some good pix of front end:

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/SubaruDocs/TimingWaterPump.htm

Lots of good notes and hints here on USMB--search "timing belt."

The Endwrench article on 2.2 timing belt changes is very good.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98684&highlight=timing+belt+endwrench

For the crank bolt I'd be tempted to try an auto salvage yard/PAP. For the timing belt cover "gaskets" you'll probably have to go Subaru OEM.

Good luck.

Well, supposedly it had a coolant leak that was from the water pump. So it was torn apart to do that repair and timing belt while it was opened up. They got as far as to remove the radiator and other parts, when the guy went back south. When we bought it, they had not done the repair. So my DH has already done the water pump R&R, and the thermostat too while it was opened up. But when he got to the part where he was changing the timing belt and checking the pulleys and tensioners he realized the bolt was not there. :mad:

My baby girl is puking today so I have to go for now, but I will check in again later tonight or in the morning. Thanks everyone!!

Before you put a lot of money into it, reassemble it and see if it overheats. Likely not, but a "leak" may indicate more than the water pump. I'd risk the cost of a waterpump but not much more at this point.

Well, supposedly it had a coolant leak that was from the water pump. So it was torn apart to do that repair and timing belt while it was opened up. They got as far as to remove the radiator and other parts, when the guy went back south. When we bought it, they had not done the repair. So my DH has already done the water pump R&R, and the thermostat too while it was opened up. But when he got to the part where he was changing the timing belt and checking the pulleys and tensioners he realized the bolt was not there. :mad:

My baby girl is puking today so I have to go for now, but I will check in again later tonight or in the morning. Thanks everyone!!

Before you put a lot of money into it, reassemble it and see if it overheats. Likely not, but a "leak" may indicate more than the water pump. I'd risk the cost of a waterpump but not much more at this point.

Oh uniberp, you're so cold. And logical.

And right.

Ummmmm.... do I detect some Subie Jedi's in the thread?? What should I be worried about?? Or basically what should we be prepared for??:-\

Well, supposedly it had a coolant leak that was from the water pump.

Not to be dark and gloomy, but you nailed it with "supposedly." Do you know any of the car's history? How much do you trust the seller and their story?

Hey, it's a good old "bulletproof" EJ22 engine--chances are good that you'll be just fine. But there is always the possibility of a bad head gasket or messed up radiator/cooling system.

Oh, and be sure DH used a Subaru OEM thermostat.

Any signs of oil leakage up front? It's a great time to reseal the oil pump and replace o-rings and cam/crank seals while it's opened up.

Good luck. Keep us posted/ask questions.

What stage is DH at right now? Are you trying to refurbish/reseal the front end or just slap it back together?

While it's opened up would be a great time to replace timing belt and idlers, perhaps the tensioner, new cam and crank seals, cam o-rings, oil pump reseal, water pump, thermostat, hoses.

Here are some good pix of front end:

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/SubaruDocs/TimingWaterPump.htm

Lots of good notes and hints here on USMB--search "timing belt."

The Endwrench article on 2.2 timing belt changes is very good.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98684&highlight=timing+belt+endwrench

For the crank bolt I'd be tempted to try an auto salvage yard/PAP. For the timing belt cover "gaskets" you'll probably have to go Subaru OEM.

Good luck.

These are some awesome pics!!!

OP:

Think out of the box, put a new or used (low miles) engine in it, since you got the thing apart anyway.

May not be cost-effective to fix what you got, who knows if it has head gaskets, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Ummmmm.... do I detect some Subie Jedi's in the thread?? What should I be worried about?? Or basically what should we be prepared for??:-\
The good news in the engine is non-interference so if there are any timing related issues, it won't damage itself.

If you haven't found the crankpulley bolt yet, drop me and address by PM and I'll send you one.