Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission issue...not enough fluid?

Come to think of it I just sold one that had about 3 extra quarts of ATF in it and I never checked the diff level. I was in a hurry - car was basically sold before I fixed it. Family wanted the car ASAP.

Tranny/diff didn't whine though.

They saw the rear diff was weeping so I pulled that plug and fluid started oozing out. Never thought of checking the front.

Perhaps I missed a potential issue. Bummer. Usually I'm pretty darn thorough.

ATF in the diff didn't hurt anything, it'll be fine.

Diff plug is flush/parallel to the ground, ATF plug is at an angle. Diff plug is always in front of the ATF too.

And gear oil STINKS!!!!!! BLAH!!!!!

i was confusing your post with someone else that had a bad transmission, i forgot you were pulling yours for the rear separator plate. so yeah, now i remember your trans is fine.

And gear oil STINKS!!!!!! BLAH!!!!!

Yeah. I took a bath in it once when we were changing my clutch on the suzuki. We didn't expect any fluid to come out of the driveshaft as we removed it from the transfer case, and *woosh* out comes this Niagra Falls of gear oil all over my shoulder and neck and head.

May be worth removing the 17mm drain on the ATF again so that you are sure you're starting with the pan empty.

i don't think i'd do this. you know now roughly how much you drained, i'd fill it with 3.5 - 4 qts and see how it does. you do not want to risk running the car with the fluid low again. i'd get it as close as possible w/ cold fluid and the car off, and then check and adjust it with the fluid hot. you can always drain and fill again next week.

if you read the dipstik before you fill it, and it looks like it's full, ignore it.

it is low regardless of what the dipstick says, they are hard to read. add fluid. i ruined a trans because the idiot who replaced the rear trans seal failed to add fluid. he said "the dip stick read full". i added 4 qts the next day and i lost the trans, reverse first.

i have read here that ATF is one of the few fluids that will improve functionality even if you only change part of it.

so i went out last night and checked everything over. Found the real transmission dipstick and filled the transmission up. This got it working. I rolled it up the driveway and put it back into the garage and drained the atf/gear oil i mixed together and refilled it with 80w90. Everything works great again. Now i can drive it to a shop to have the oil plate fixed. I think from now on ill leave the transmission work to the pros. This wont keep me from messing with the engine, though. Im still learning, so cut me some slack.

Hey man: We all have to start somewhere. I'm glad that you still want to do things yourself. Now that you have a manual, you can get alot of stuff done yourself. As time goes by you will feel more comfortable and will venture into other areas of the cars mechanical workings. Have fun and just know that even if you break something all of the parts are available and can be fixed with a little time and money.

Good luck

ive worked on front wheel drive cars and 4x4s, so im still getting used to the AWD subarus. ive also never messed with auto transmissions, nor do i want to ever again, lol.

Be thankful. Some high end cars have done away with dipsticks all together. They dont want thier clients getting thier hands dirty. BTW a subaur auto will outlive a subaru clutch by leaps and bounds, and it is a trouble free unit. Many autos out there are way past 250,000 miles an all they want is fresh fluid every 2-3 years.

Since you are getting used to subarus, read up on the evils of torque bind and the importance that tires always match (this is for any AWD car).

nipper

Since you are getting used to subarus, read up on the evils of torque bind and the importance that tires always match (this is for any AWD car).

nipper

I already heard about that for the tires. Tread wear has to match on all tires, otherwise you could screw up your differentials. So if a tire goes bad and needs replaced, you need to do all 4 tires or have the replacement tire worn away by a shop to match the other 4.