Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 4WD GL fuel line help

The car almost passed CA smog this weekend, I failed because the fuel system won't hold pressure and is leaking vapor. The car runs great, so I am guessing it has to be somewhere with the rubber lines near the tank. I haven't dealt with any of that on this car before, how many lines am I looking for and where are they located/easiest to get to?

Edited by eVIL_NTT

I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that... I don't know where it is leaking and was planning on inspecting it this week. I will look into the charcol canister, but I have a sinking feeling it is at the tank. What do I have to do to remove the gas tank? I want to know what I am getting into before I tear anthing apart.

Mine vents directly to atmosphere.

same here, but in order to avoid chasing fumes I was thinking maybe it should actually got to a filter or something and then return the actual liquid to the tank...

I have bad mileage and a gas smell so I'm wondering if it's my atmosphere vent or a leak...

Where is it leaking? The vent should be plumbed to the charcoal canister under the hood....

Otherwise all the lines are solid steel except where they attach to the top of the tank - those can only be accessed by dropping the fuel tank out of the car - which is a terrible job :-\

GD

EA81 and EA82 lines come from the front of the tank. Not entirely up on top.

You don't need to drop the gas tank IIRC

There are rubber lines that come out of the tank from the side, and some more near the rear fuel filter, but I would imagine that if those lines were bad they would be leaking liquid fuel as well as vapor. My issue is that vapor is escaping somewhere in the system. The charcol canister is clean, so the only other place I can think of would be lines on top of the tank... if they are there. Can anyone else confirm this?

There are rubber lines that come out of the tank from the side, and some more near the rear fuel filter, but I would imagine that if those lines were bad they would be leaking liquid fuel as well as vapor. My issue is that vapor is escaping somewhere in the system. The charcol canister is clean, so the only other place I can think of would be lines on top of the tank... if they are there. Can anyone else confirm this?

Could also be at the top of the fuel filter, were the vent line comes off the filter.