Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'82 4WD GL fuel line help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eVIL_NTT

eVIL_NTT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Santa Rosa, CA

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

The car almost passed CA smog this weekend, I failed because the fuel system won't hold pressure and is leaking vapor. The car runs great, so I am guessing it has to be somewhere with the rubber lines near the tank. I haven't dealt with any of that on this car before, how many lines am I looking for and where are they located/easiest to get to?

Edited by eVIL_NTT, 21 July 2009 - 02:23 AM.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

Where is it leaking? The vent should be plumbed to the charcoal canister under the hood....

Otherwise all the lines are solid steel except where they attach to the top of the tank - those can only be accessed by dropping the fuel tank out of the car - which is a terrible job :-\

GD

#3 eVIL_NTT

eVIL_NTT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Santa Rosa, CA

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:22 AM

I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that... I don't know where it is leaking and was planning on inspecting it this week. I will look into the charcol canister, but I have a sinking feeling it is at the tank. What do I have to do to remove the gas tank? I want to know what I am getting into before I tear anthing apart.

#4 Spiffy

Spiffy

this road's wide enough

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

The vent should be plumbed to the charcoal canister under the hood....

what if you tore out the charcoal canister with the rest of the emissions junk? then where does the vent go?

#5 Greenley

Greenley

EA81 Nut

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Gardnerville : Reno/Tahoe

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

what if you tore out the charcoal canister with the rest of the emissions junk? then where does the vent go?

Mine vents directly to atmosphere.

#6 Spiffy

Spiffy

this road's wide enough

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Mine vents directly to atmosphere.

same here, but in order to avoid chasing fumes I was thinking maybe it should actually got to a filter or something and then return the actual liquid to the tank...

I have bad mileage and a gas smell so I'm wondering if it's my atmosphere vent or a leak...

#7 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

http://mshoup.us/doc...Fuel_System.pdf

http://mshoup.us/doc...trol_System.pdf

Those 2 links should give you some insite to things.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,932 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Where is it leaking? The vent should be plumbed to the charcoal canister under the hood....

Otherwise all the lines are solid steel except where they attach to the top of the tank - those can only be accessed by dropping the fuel tank out of the car - which is a terrible job :-\

GD

EA81 and EA82 lines come from the front of the tank. Not entirely up on top.

You don't need to drop the gas tank IIRC

#9 eVIL_NTT

eVIL_NTT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Santa Rosa, CA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

There are rubber lines that come out of the tank from the side, and some more near the rear fuel filter, but I would imagine that if those lines were bad they would be leaking liquid fuel as well as vapor. My issue is that vapor is escaping somewhere in the system. The charcol canister is clean, so the only other place I can think of would be lines on top of the tank... if they are there. Can anyone else confirm this?

#10 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,932 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

There are rubber lines that come out of the tank from the side, and some more near the rear fuel filter, but I would imagine that if those lines were bad they would be leaking liquid fuel as well as vapor. My issue is that vapor is escaping somewhere in the system. The charcol canister is clean, so the only other place I can think of would be lines on top of the tank... if they are there. Can anyone else confirm this?

Could also be at the top of the fuel filter, were the vent line comes off the filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users