Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sputter- gas smell

hey all, in my '86 gl10, when its started up, it runs, but it putters and hesitates, it smokes a bluish smoke out from the exhaust. also, it doesnt smell like oil, it smells like gas. after it idles and warms up, it runs fine. also occationally when its started up it will run, but right when its in gear and going it will begin the puttering fit. is it a choke or something getting stuck? just wondering if this is a common problem. maby a known defect. ok thanks all, look forward to a responce.

tyler.

humm maby i need to think before i type? eh? lol well that sounds right, that would explain puttering and gas smell. but i really didnt think that it would run at all, or even as well as it does, only on two cylinders. ive heard of prople nusing their cars home on two cylinders so i guess its possible.

On just another note why does my car idle so high, depending on the morning, it can idle as high as 2000 rpms. if i blip the gas a couple times it will gradually drop. a few hundred at a time. is this a quick warm up kind of like the "cold start up" mazda used on the rx7? because it will fall after its warmed up, when fully warmed up she will idle at 1100 - 950 rpms.

but i will check on plugs and wires. thnx.

tyler

Originally posted by subawoohoo

humm maby i need to think before i type? eh? lol well that sounds right, that would explain puttering and gas smell. but i really didnt think that it would run at all, or even as well as it does, only on two cylinders. ive heard of prople nusing their cars home on two cylinders so i guess its possible.

On just another note why does my car idle so high, depending on the morning, it can idle as high as 2000 rpms. if i blip the gas a couple times it will gradually drop. a few hundred at a time. is this a quick warm up kind of like the "cold start up" mazda used on the rx7? because it will fall after its warmed up, when fully warmed up she will idle at 1100 - 950 rpms.

but i will check on plugs and wires. thnx.

tyler

Is it a turbo?

Its supposed to do that I think.. mine always has.. even with a different AAV and intake manifold it still did it.. Every FI car I have ever driven idles higher when its cold.. they are supposed to.. I am just not sure if its supposed to idle quite that high

calebz- which problem you refering to? yes it is turbo (i though all gl10s were) anyway, do you mean that all FI cars idle high, or smoke and putter? :-p btw, it rarely hits 2000 rpms at idle, it has, but it is usually at about 1700 rpms.

im really not all that concerned with the idle, as it seems to go away or die down after a few moments, but the smoking, gas and puttering are kinda making me think. like i said it goes away too and when i did drive it with it puttering, it just hopped, and spit and blew smoke untill it cleared up.

to me, it sounds like the plugs or wires, but why does it clear up, and only act up right when its started?

thanks for all the "cents" lol

tyler

Plug wires with miniscule cracks could be shorting to ground through the condensation on the wires until the engine heats up enough to evaporate the water. Check by misting the wires with a spray bottle of water when it's running ok. If they're bad, the plugs are probably fouled some from the no spark condition, so change them too, at least on the problem ones.

Or, it could be something COMPLETELY different:D !

i took my car to school today, afterwards she took a while to get goin. then later, after bowling a bit, i got out and it woudnt start, (smelt strongly of gas). anyway it needed pushstarted. i havnt got the money for a tune up :mad: but i would still like more opinions if available.

also this might be on a different note but when i got home, i let it idle, and it started bubbling out of my overflow container. it wasnt overheating so what, cracked head or gasket? and will it hurt to run it if it is a gasket or head? also, smokes now near the turbo.

little problems are just popping up everywhere, i just need to rebuild the damn thing, thanks if you can help me out for the time being.

thanks

tyler

bubleing out the overflow bottle hopefully is just a bad rad cap or yes it could be a headgasket. my RX misfires a little on start up but the wagon does not. I suspect its the lower compression on the RX that does it. somthing else you may want to consider is a leaking injector. they will usually run alright but then leak down while sitting.