Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant leak under weber adapter

I just installed a weber DFEV on my EA82. I have tried permatex high tack gasket sealant and type 2b gasket sealant and the coolant still leaks under the gasket, both into the intake and on top of the engine. I was thinking of sanding(roughing both surfaces) and epoxying a small piece of aluminum sheet over the hole before putting on the gasket and the adapter. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas or solutions?

How did you clean the maying surfaces? I have not had this type of problem with the EA81 adapters. I have not done an EA82 Weber swap either.

If it is leaking into the manifold I would say the surfaces are warped. May need to take it off and have that surface planed. It is the same method used to resurface exhaust manifolds.

That hose does serve a purpose however. It stops icing of fuel. The slight amount of heat it apllies to the intake manifolds will reduce the odds of icing in the carb.

Get new gaskets.

Especially one that is flat without the opening for the water... (EA81 one) and a new Weber gasket.

Use the high temp Red RTV silicone, and make sure it's on there good, but not so that you're worried about it squirting out too much. some say "just till it looks 'wet' " but I don't know about that.

Mine used to leak when I did and didn't use any type of sealer. I've used the red RTV stuff on all of my gaskets now in my car (except head gaskets) and nothing leaks!

I don't think disconnecting the hose will guarentee anything, if I remember right the chamber beneath the carb is part of the whole jacket in the intake.

On my EA82 I took a small square of 1/8" aluminum stock, tapered the edges, pushed down the brass feed nipple in the port a bit, tapped in the square a little bit below the surface of the plane, then covered it w/quicksteel, scraped it flush w/ the plane and was happy, no leak. Good luck.