Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4 speed to 5 speed swap help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 81 brat

81 brat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Reno

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

I am trying to swap a 5 speed out of an 1989 gl wagon into my 1981 brat but the trannys are a lot different if somebody could post pics of the tranny mounts or tell me how they got it to work that would help a lot also could use pics of the shift linkage thanks

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Is your '81 Brat a GL with an EA81? If so you can likely do it (it won't work with the EA71), but the 1981 Brat belongs to the Historic section of this board and as such most of the folks that hang out here in the old gen section have no idea what you need to do to swap in a 5 speed.

I know a couple things - first you will have to lower the tranny (possibly the engine as well) or modify the floor-pan sheet metal to accommodate the larger diameter of the 5 speed. You will have to swap in the two-piece driveline from the '89 or have a custom driveline made, and you will have to fabricate a new transmission cross-member.

There's very few out there that have done this swap due to the rare nature of the '81 GL with the EA81. In fact they are so rare I would hessitate to modify it at all unless you know what you are doing.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users