Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STi snow driving (DCCD RULES!!!!)

As we are slowly getting snow here in PA I've been taking out the STi only on short non-highway trips or to play. Well, let me tell you, there is nothing as cool as being able to play with the center diff.

Center diff in "Open" mode basically means the car is a RWD doughnut producing terror. I first learned to drive in the snow with RWD so for me this is very pleasant, as long as I lead the lead foot at home.

Center diff in "Lock" mode means all 4 wheels with power and one heck of a lot of fun in a straight line. Don't try to turn in lock though. The LSD front tied to the locked center diff makes for tons of understeer. It just grabs and claws its way along at an impressive pace.

I've only got Sumitomo HTR+ High performance all season tires on the car, but so far I've been majorly impressed with the level of grip and control. The trick is being gentle with the foot. There is enough power to spin all 4 tires in 4th gear at 35mph, and that's way before it's making full boost.

I still won't be driving it the 40+ miles each way to work in the snow, but I'm defenitly not affraid to drive it in the snow. It's got tons of grip and with all the locking diffs is a blast.

Keith

Oh so Keith it was probably you that wouldn't pull over and let me by in their STi even though they were going 20mph while I had no problems taking the FWD XT6 with 4 bald tires at least 2x as fast.:D;):D :D . Just kidding by the way but that was the 3rd idiot WRX drive I've encountered this week. Maybe Subaru should send all WRX purchasers to drivers school so they aren't an embarrassment to the rest of us.:D

Originally posted by benebob

Oh so Keith it was probably you that wouldn't pull over and let me by in their STi even though they were going 20mph while I had no problems taking the FWD XT6 with 4 bald tires at least 2x as fast.:D;):D :D . Just kidding by the way but that was the 3rd idiot WRX drive I've encountered this week. Maybe Subaru should send all WRX purchasers to drivers school so they aren't an embarrassment to the rest of us.:D

In all fairness a WRX with the stock RE92s on it is about as bad as it gets. The RE92s are absolutely horrible in the snow, not to mention that most people just don't understand how to drive AWD in the snow.

As for me..... lets just say I'm usually the one passing everone where he can, but you are only as safe as the other people on the road. That said I usually play it as safe as I can and not go trying to pass people in the unplowed left lane unless I really have to.

Keith