Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right on the mark...

I think I hover just under 3k, eg 2900 at that speed. 97 OB auto.

The gearing is kept a bit short on these cars since they really are a bit underpowered if you ask me. The higher revs give one a bit better pick up, but they still rate near the bottom of the pack for acceleration in their class. Decent torque though from the H4.

Commuter

Originally posted by 1 Lucky Texan

I think my '03 H6 is about the same.

When I test drove an Outback VDC a couple years ago, I noticed that the revs were a bit lower. About 2500 rpm IIRC at 75 mph.

My wife's 99 Honda Odyssey with 3.5L V6 turns over at 2000 rpm at 75 mph. Gets about the same gas milage too as my 97 OB Phase I 2.5L engine.

Hmmm...

Commuter

These engines all have a shorter stroke compared to their bore. That translates to crummy low rev torque, which is why they need to pull such "high" revs.

It's also means that high revs are possible, like sticking with 1st 'til 6500rpm and staying in 2nd til 6000rpm. In the higher gears the torque drop off after 6000rpm becomes a problem and I usually shift around 5500rpm, which brings the revs back to the torque peak.

Of course this is only when I am hurrying :D

Of course:D

My '99 Forester (Phase II 2.5) is around 3200 @ 75. But it's a 5-speed. (For some reason the 5-speeds are geared shorter than the 4EATs.) My mom's '82 GLF turns 4000 at 70--but that's with a 3-speed auto slushbox. So by comparison Subaru is getting better.