Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t - '80 hatch?

The above dream is something thats been cooking in my little head for a few months now. I have a 86 gl10 turbo, and even with it hauling its chubby azz arround, it still flys for an old lady. (186,000) i also have a 80 hatch, 4 speed ea71. its tranny is a slushbox and the engine, although in very great shape, isnt exactly enough. :D so has an ea82t - '80 (first gen i believe) transplant ever been done. havnt found any seaching. the car would be used for mostly rally type driving. what would be involved. since the stock axles wont work, is the width of the first gen close enough to the ea82 to be able to swap out tranny and axles? im not exactly sure if their hubs etc.. parts are interchangeable?

by the way both cars are ARIZONA cars, almost PERFECT condition :banana: :banana: :banana: HAHA dont hate.j/k

im sure ill need crossmembers and such. also the swap would be only done if there was a donor car sitting by. no parts gathering.

but my main questions are would this swap be feasable without tearing out frame and structural parts to make it fit. :mad: basically bolt on with minor improvising??

ive heard of the ea81 swap, but im likin the turbo 82 so far ;) .

hope i didnt waste any time with the ?s but , if i did, oh well. J/K lol

thnx and ttyl.

tyler

Down here, theres a gen 1 brat with an EA82T.

Contrary to popular opinion, you do NOT have to cut the frame rails. You do have to fabricate new engine and tranny mounts, and the master cylinder is kind of in the way. Custom front axles are also a must, due to length ands spline count issues.. then the fun part.. you get the privelege of rewiring the whole front of the car.

an ea82 will physically fit. dont forget all the wiring.

but if you use a tranny from a NON TURBO (2wd 5spd, 4wd 5spd, 4wd pushbutton 5spd non turbo, or turbo 3AT will fit) all these have 23 splines, will fit no problem

if you can find a ea81t front crossmember that would be nice, if you do, no motor mount mods. but if you can cut away the existing crossmember to clear the turbo crosspipe, you still shouldnt have to mod the mounts

but any ragular ea82 will fit in a hatch with NO mods

if you really want to get into a project, there IS a way to use ea82 axles in a hatch, but that requires mods to the front crossmember, and you will need pretty much a complete ea82 front suspension for parts.

such has been done to TRASHWAGON 5 and rguyver's hatch with the ea82 axles

i'll be puttin an ea82T in my 89' ea81 hatch this summer.. going to use the stock 4-speed d/r tranny so i can keep my axles..

i have a complete RX as a donor car really.. wireing harness, ecu, etc.. from what i understand the hardest part iis the wiring.. the rest is all bolt together stuff..

so you saying that if i use any of the trannys that you mentioned, i can use all my suspention components. thats what im really worried about, because i dont want to re-design the whole front end, im up for the challenge and can take the work. will the stock axles fit or will i need ea82s OR will i have to get cusom ones made?

if the donor car has a digital dash, or any dash for that matter, what wiring will be needed to make it work? I wont want power windows, or doorlocks so that i can weed out but as for the dash and guages and whatnot.? what will be the diferences? can you think of any other problems i might encounter.

again im mainly concerned about axles. i will hope to use a D/R 5 speed, or a S.R 5 speed, either one will be NA. will the stock axles fit, and/or hold up to the power or will i need to use ea82 axles? also will the above mentioned trannys bolt up to the engine no probs?

thanks for the info, i checked out the trashwagons and 78turbobrats mods as well. very helpfull.

thanks again

tyler

if you use a 5spd dual range, or PB 4wd, then you are good to go, 23 spline axles. with that, your stock axles will work

you wint need to have custom axles, but you can if you want to use a turbo tranny with 25 splines, or go with the suspension conversion. you can ONLY use ea82 axles if you do the front suspension conversion

but yes, the axles will work with what you have, no worries there

as far as the wiring harness, take it all, get it ti run, and eliminate what you wint need. a schematic will help in that department.