Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 brat camber questions

jayare12

well i just bought a 1978 with a six inch lift and the strut towers are giving me a camber issue\ / (dont know if thats positive or negative) but it feels like I cant control it above 50 mph. any suggestions or now where i can get some 6" strut tower adapters?

just the stock 13s was thinking of trying to fit larger tires on it. also working on fixing front strut lifts i dont think he did the math for figuring what angle was needed i figure the mount is roughly 14 deg at top and rather than adjust and come straight down i think he just ran straight six inches out. Oh yeah mike you still know that guy how makes the lifts?

also can anyone link me a photo or drawing of some sturdy strut lifts, all i can find is 4 inch would like to see how others are done. i was thinking or useing two inch square tube with 14 degree cuts so strut mount is at right angle. would love to hear others desighn or suggestions.

I ran across a pretty gnarly lifted Gen 1 BRAT in the Lynnwood PAP years ago that apparently once belonged to a member of the Hatch Patrol. Don't know his name, but I grabbed a few of its parts, all of which have been lost.

I think one of Zap's old Subaru Fun videos featured it once or twice, but I could be wrong. Maybe one of the vets could speak up on this?

Not many people have lifted a Gen 1 BRAT or any Gen 1 for that matter and all are basically custom one-offs, not a production type kit. There are several fabricators who are members here who would probably be glad to help.

A bigger wider tire will help with the camber also send me a pic on the way it looks it will have some off camber and it will be bad with 13s they are pizza cutters so the ride will be different because you are higher in the air with little tires so they tend to track a little differently

send me a pic and I can help but far as I can tell you is with a 4 inch there is bad camber I took my car to the shop and they maxed out everything on the front to get the camber right but the only way you can get it to be even is by making the bottom arms longer

well i installed the pieces i built for the front strut mounts and it sucked the top of the tires in a inch, So i guess compensating for the angles and lift are important. gonna tighten everything up and test drive tonight after the comes home. also how do i post photos do i need a online pic account?

I suggest getting a hold of "The Beast I Drive" he is the brat king and master lift maker. They are military tank quality and have all the correct camber angles. But keep in mind you will have some camber with a lift that big, it is just a fact of life. Either deal with or go back to mamby pamby stock. :banana:

Well The problem is solved, so for anyone who searches this thread for answers my problems were that the guy who built the lift before i bought it did not compensate for strut mount angles, so the front strut was bound up. Also he clocked the rear torsion bars so the rear was about 3" higher than the front end, which in turn messed up the caster on the front end. After everything was done went for a test drive and got it to 70mph(downhill) not A wobble also the alignment must be good cuz it goes straight even with no hands on the wheel. I'm thrilled to have it on the road and running again.:banana:

Well The problem is solved, so for anyone who searches this thread for answers my problems were that the guy who built the lift before i bought it did not compensate for strut mount angles, so the front strut was bound up. Also he clocked the rear torsion bars so the rear was about 3" higher than the front end, which in turn messed up the caster on the front end. After everything was done went for a test drive and got it to 70mph(downhill) not A wobble also the alignment must be good cuz it goes straight even with no hands on the wheel. I'm thrilled to have it on the road and running again.:banana:

Very good Information, I am in the process of lifting the Front of my 80 Brat... do you have any pictures? I have not even though about the rear yet...:-\ I am only going 2 Inches or 2.5 Inches for the front square Tube Method...

Also how was the rear done? Please provide Pictures. as I only want to raise the rear about 1" or so... Thanks.

-Daniel

Edited by danrenfroe2016
Clarification