Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Have the Numbers :)

I Obtained the Number of Each Part, but let me Tell you that there are Two Different Part Numbers for the Complete Distribuitor, for the Carburated Subaru EJ Engines, but Both Use the Same internal Parts.

• The Complete EJ Engine Distribuitor is Listed in the Dealer's Manual with Part Numbers:

22100 - AA460   (for the EJ15 and EJ16 engines)  

22100 - AA550   (for the EJ18 and EJ20 engines)  

• The Rotor Head is Listed with Part Number:

22157 - KA060   (item Nº 15 on the Manual's List)

• The Cap-Assy is Listed with Part Number:

22162 - AA090    (item Nº 14 on the Manual's List)

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like I've Just Solved the Mistery about Why is so Scarse and Hard to find those ignition Parts for the Carbed EJ Engines...

(I Know that those Carbed + Disty EJ Engines weren't available in the USA ... but they Came to Latin America, Australia, New Zealand and some Countries of Asia; but even if there are Lots of those Carbed EJ Subarus Running great Here and they came Thru the Dealer; their ignition Parts seems to be Hard to Find... Way harder than EA ignition parts.

A Great USMB Friend asked me to obtain those parts for him and after several talks with the dealer's salesmen and CEO; I Already obtained the parts for him, and I Hope I can send them to USA within the Next Week.)

...Let me Upload the Pics, They are Self Explain, so you'll understand Why those are so Scarse...

This is a Picture of the brand New EJ Engine Distribuitor's Cap and Head Rotor,

Placed over my Yellow Wagon; a Photocopy of the Dealer's EJ Engine Manual is under them...

SubaruEJEnginesDistyCapRotor.jpg

So I Noticed Something "Different" in a Subaru ignition Part,

Because I have Seen "Nippon Denso" (ND) and "Hitachi" Parts in Subarus,

but I've Never Seen in a Subaru, parts made by...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey JesZek, happy new year!!

I finally got around to browsing this thread on the carbed latin-american leggo.

Now I've got a question for you, involving some honduran yonkey searching for me.

How often do you see latino foresters in yards down there? I'm interested in a latin-american or australian forester 5 speed, dual range AWD tranny. I have communications with a good guy in Australia for one, but I think the cost and shipping might be more than one from central america. It looks like from this thread, that 90 carbed leggo was dual rang 4 wheel not ALL wheel drive? Is that true? Do early 90's latin american leggos and foresters still have 4x4, and FWD, or are they really dual range AWD? I would suspect they are really full time AWD with a hi and low range.

I am interested in a dual range AWD and prefer a forester (98-2001?) over a legacy transmission, for the gearing. I assume, but maybe you could verify the gearing, that the forester gearing would be like australia's where it is 4.11 final drive and 1.44:1 low range, where as the legacy D/R/ AWD is 3.90 final and 1.189:1 low range.

Thank you JesZek and we can PM for further details, if this kind of searching is something you could/would do.

Happy New Year my friend!!

Edited by superu

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark, I've not seen your Post Before... 

Yes, here are still Available Dual Range Transmissions for the New Subaru Lineup, but those are Optional, that costs Money, also I Asked to the Dealer and few Friends who are Mechanics and they Told me that the Gearing Ratio that Subaru Offers here in Latin America (LADM) is the Same that goes to Australia (AUDM) and Japan (JDM) but I'm Not completely Sure about that yet...

Also, some the Dual Range Gearbox I have seen on Legacies from the 1990's Decade, does have the 4WD Sticker, not the AWD; just like the one Posted here:

CarbdDistyEJSubie7.jpg

(See the Earlier Posts of this Thread for More Pictures)

To Find a LADM Specs Subie in our Local Junk Yards is almost impossible, due to two Facts:

• All our JunkYard cars (and Many Many from the Runnin' ones) comes from the USA, Local JunkYards are Not Allowed to Sell Local Cars.

• if a Local Subie Crashes and the Owner choose to Sell it in Parts, is the Owner who does that directly, not a Junk Yard.

Also, here the People who owns a Subie, Usually falls in Love with them and is not easy to find Subarus for Sale, Specially the Smaller ones, like the Rex and the Justy.

But I will be Searchin' for a Good Dual Range Gearbox for your Legacy; I'll Write you a PM as Soon as I Found something.

Kind Regards.

Well... I Have been Offline for a While, (I Explained the Reasons

here) please excuse me for not Uploadin` here the Pics Before, I Have not done that yet but I Will Upload Pics of that Subaru here Soon.

While I could do That, let me Post Pics of a Similar Subie with Latin American Specs (Disty + Carb) Which I Fixed some time ago, `cos it is Very similar to the One that was Offered to me to Buy.

EJ22Carbed.gif

wow i see something new everyday it seems. That is something i didnt know existed. A carbed EJ .......wow.

• 4 months later...

... the manifold's (if they fit an EJ22) as well as the distributors would be useful up here.

GD

When I Answered your Question in Post Nº 11 ... I wrote about the intake manifold, but Mistakenly I forget to write about the Distribuitor: it will Fit the USDM specs EJ Engines with minor adaption job, because the USDM EJ engines comes with a "Sealed" distribuitor's receptacle.

Kind Regards.

Hey JesZek!

I'm returning to this old thread with more info and questions for you.

I'm finally finding the information I wanted about Australian transmissions and their diual range AWD gear boxes offered in new generation foresters, legacies/liberties and outbacks. BUT I'm still curious about the Honduran transmissions...

Like this older legacy with the carbed EJ22 and dual range 4x4....

Do you suspect that was an EA82 transmission or do you think that gen one legacy CAME WITH a dual range 4x4? You also indicated others were with the 4x4 sicker not the AWD sticker...

I'm still very interested...

It may be cheaper freight from AUS than from Honduras, despite you being MUCH closer, but international commerce is more with AUS...

You remember my brother-in-law Erik? He found out about your dual range transmissions and is going to have his brother look into it for me also...

I'm still working on getting one, but have not completed the task yet...

I hope you and your family are doing well!!

best,

-mark-

Hi Mark, I've not seen your Post Before...

Yes, here are Available Dual Range Transmissions for the New Subaru Lineup, but those are a "Special Feature" Option that costs Money, not an Standard item; also I Asked to the Dealer and few Friends who are Mechanics and they Told me that the Gearing Ratio that Subaru Offers here in Latin America is the Same that goes to Australia and Sometimes in Certain Models is the Same that is Found in Japan (¿:confused:?) I'm Not completely Sure about that yet...

Also, the Dual Range Gearbox I have seen on the Newer Subies (Think about Legacies from the 1990's Decade) has the 4WD Sticker, not the AWD; just like the one Posted here:

CarbdDistyEJSubie7.jpg

(See the Earlier Posts of this Thread for More Pictures)

To Find a Latin American ~local~ Specs Subie in our Local Junk Yards is almost impossible, due to two Facts:

1. All our JunkYard cars (and Many Many from the Runnin' ones) comes from the USA, Local JunkYards are Not Allowed to Sell Local Cars.

2. if a Local Subie Crashes and the Owner choose to Sell it in Parts, is the Owner who does that directly, not a Junk Yard.

Also, here the People who owns a Subie, Usually falls in Love with them and is not easy to find some subie for Sale, Specially the Smaller ones, like the Rex and the Justy.

But I will be Searchin' for a Good Dual Range Gearbox for your Legacy; I'll Write you a PM as Soon as I Found something.

Kind Regards.

I Asked to the local Subaru Dealer's Mechanic, he told me that the LADM, AUDM and Asian Markets' Dual Range EJ Transmissions are pretty much the Same; the main difference is that LADM and certain asian markets, has Left Hand Drive Cars (Honduras like the rest of the continental Latin America is like USA: LHD) but JDM and AUDM are Right Hand Drive Markets, (RHD) so the Specs of certain components could vary a little.

Kind Regards.

O.K.

That actually confirms my suspissions that Honduras, and all Latin America has dual range EJ transmissions like Australia and Europe.

I'm actually more interested in a D/R EJ 5 speed than a D/R AE 4x4 5 speed.

But as you say you can't get Honduras wrecked parts, so it becomes a bit tricker trying to get a good used EJ D/R 5MT from your country...

Hmmm, :rolleyes:

Let me Tell you that long time ago, I Repaired (Changed Brake Pads & Shoes) an Old Legacy, that its Plate said it was made in Late 1988! ... Yes, they where Available in Japan and Certain Countries (like mine) since 1988; and that old one "seemed" to have the same EA82 Transmission; but I could not be completely Sure.

So I Asked a Dealer's Mechanic, who told me that the Same Transmissions that was / are Available on the Asian and Australian markets, are the same ones found here, in the Latin American Market.

So, I Don't Believe any Legacy came with the same EA Transmissions ... Unless it is the 4EAT, which is Still in Production. (The 4EAT -Electronic Automatic Transmission- made by Subaru, came first on late Loyales and even in the Early Generation of the Nissan Pathfinder)

But you must know that Certain Housings could be Different but internal Parts Could be the Same; so Maybe those D/R transmissions Found here, does Share components from the EA D/R Transmissions, but they're not the Same at all.

Kind Regards.

...Hmmm, :rolleyes:

Well... the Reason is simple: Junk Yards (Known here as: Yonkers) Usually only sells parts that comes from USA from wrecked Cars. So to Find Parts from a Local Subie with LADM Specs is not 100% impossible... but basically talking, you only have Three posibilities:

• to Buy the Trans Directly from Someone who Crashed its Subie.
  • to Buy the Entire Vehicle and take off the D/R Trans here.
  • to Buy a Good Runnin' Vehicle and Drive it up to USA.

So, here People Wants to sell Always the Entire Vehicle when is Crashed... and is Expensive.

But if you Still want to Buy the Dual Range 4WD EJ Transmission... Along the Whole Car! :eek: the one I saw (which I Posted Photos in prior posts) is Still Available for Sale; and maybe the Total Cost won't be too High for you... Consider that you'll have a Rare EJ Engine with Factory Carburetor + Distribuitor Setup, that I am Sure that many USMB Members will be more than Happy to buy it from you.

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...
When I Answered your Question in Post Nº 11 ... I Mistakenly wrote Only about the Distribuitor: it will Fit the USA Market EJ Engines, but I Forgot to be more Specific about the intake Manyfold: the Latin American / Asian \ Aussie Version got Water Passages on it, just like the Old EA82 intake's Design; so I Don't Believe they will fit easily...

Kind Regards.

Hi JesZek, (I know this is old and your reply was over 2 years ago ;)

As you may recall I've been researching the dual range options for about 7 years and actively searching for about 5 or so. I have finally found a [reportedly] good used one from a forester in Australia and am having it shipped to me soon. Hopefully in a couple months I will have a dual range AWD 5-speed!! It should go pretty well on and off road!! :D

Edited by superu

Wow Mark! ... :banana: ... Those are Good News! ... I'm Glad to Know that.

I Searched for one of those here for you, But seems like Nobody sells their Foresters,

and is imposible to Find one in a Local Junk Yard...

How did the D/R Lever Looked Like on the one that goes for you?

Kind Regards.

Wow Mark! ...

:banana: ... Those are Good News!

I'm Glad to Know that!

icon14.gif

I Searched for one of those here for you,

but seems like Nobody sells their Foresters

and is imposible to Find one in a Junk Yard.

How did the D/R Lever Looked Like on the one that goes for you,

Like this on our Local Foresters?

picture.php?albumid=317&pictureid=3617

or Like This on our Local Legacies?

picture.php?albumid=317&pictureid=3618

Kind Regards.

I don't have the unit yet, but I think it should look more like the legacy one. It's from a 1st generation forester and I'm trying to get the plastic console cover from an Aussie 2nd gen legacy so it will all look factory, but if I can't get the console, i'll just gut a hole and dress it up, OR make it an electronic-actuated push button low range! :eek:

If I get a legacy console cover for it, it should look like these pix.

post-9686-136027655142_thumb.jpg

post-9686-136027655147_thumb.jpg

post-9686-136027655147_thumb.jpg

post-9686-136027655149_thumb.jpg

...It's from a 1st generation forester and I'm trying to get the plastic console cover from an Aussie 2nd gen legacy so it will all look factory...

Great! ... It will Look Factory and Work Factory too! icon14.gif

...but if I can't get the console, i'll just gut a hole and dress it up...

Quick Solution, I've done something similar in other non-subaru car and Looks and works Good.

...OR make it an electronic-actuated push button low range! :eek: ...

Well, that deserves a Writeup.

Will you post a Thread about that Dual Range Forester Transmission on your Legacy?

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that deserves a Writeup.

Will you post a Thread about that Dual Range Forester Transmission on your Legacy?

Kind Regards.

yes and yes, when/if it gets here and installed I will write up an install (I do have one on my OB 5MT swap, I think on another forum. . . ) report ;) as well as a capability report :D

Supposedly he's dropping it off with the shippers Monday... :burnout:

Dual range AND Awd?!?

What's the reduction ratio on that trans? I seem to recall seeing something like 1.19 for the EJ d/r transmissions, didn't know they came AWD though. Figured they were just 4wd.

they're AUDM, JDM and SADM spec, pretty much anywhere but USA.

Older (gen 1) foresters were 4.11 FD and 1.44:1 low, pretty much all the others (OBs, gen 2 and newer foz and all legacy/loyales) are 1.19:1 low EXCEPT the rare impreza that's 3.90 FD and 1.59:1 low. legacy/loyales and OBs vary from 3.70 to 3.90 to 4.11 FD but are all 1.19:1 low

Are they full time AWD or selectable 2wd/awd like the 4wd boxes here? Can't imagine it's cheap to get one from all the way across the pond, how much are you paying to ship that thing? If you don't mind me asking.

Yeah they're full time AWD! I researched this for like 7-8 years and shopped for 6-7.

I toyed with the idea of an EA82 4x4 swap but woul want it geared to 4.11 for my oversize tires, BUT i really love AWD and didn't want FWD. It's a tossup b/c it won't be a locked center like an EA box, BUT it'll be full time AWD and a low gear. It should be like USDM forester gearing (with a nice 5th, when compared to our gen 1 OB's high-spun 5th), but with a decent low.

Sure, not as awesome as an EA82's 1.59:1, but not as lame as the typical 1.19:1... AND it's a bolt on application.

You could get a loyale 3.9 FD or a 2nd gen OB or FOR with 4.11 FD but they'd have 1.19:1 low, then you could swap in 4.11's AND 1.59:1 low, but you're cracking and marrying 3 transmissions to do it. This way it's a really good combination and no opening to do...

:confused:umm yeah, its a penny to ship, a pretty penny. a little over a grand :eek:

As far as I know it's like the 3rd DR AWD to make it over the pond. I found a shop in Canada with 2-3 but he wanted waaaay too much for them, plus shipping.

Also there's this shop that builds them, but again they wanted like $815 for a used one not gone through, plus about a grand shipping...

http://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/

anyhoo, it's supposedly being shipped out Monday... I've been working on shipping since November. :banghead:

But we're getting there :o