Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car: 2.2l, 1995, 180,000 mi, auto.

I just had a dealer change the timing belt. Afterwards, it seem that the 1st gear acceleration is poor. If I push the petal to the floor, it shifts into 2nd, and picks up pretty good. Doesn't matter if warm up or not.

OK, maybe this has been building for a while and I didn't notice? Obviously, it could be a poor spark plugs [relatively new], lack of compression, damaged transmission, vacuum hose problem, etc. However, is there anything that the dealer does when changing the timing belt that could have caused this?

Do they reset the timing after changing the belt?

[...]Do they reset the timing after changing the belt?

Not intentionally. ;)

Valve timing (synchronization of camshafts with crankshaft) is accomplished by properly aligning things during the belt replacement. As to ignition timing, there is nothing to adjust.

Perhaps the belt was installed misaligned by one tooth, but as you mentioned there are several possibilities. It's common for other work to be done at the same time as the timing belt replacement -- was there? Since you didn't mention it, can we assume that ''check engine'' isn't lit?

Yup, given the circumstances it seems most likely to be a cam timing problem.

The proper thing to do, whether it is cam timing or not, is to take it back to where you got the work done and explain that it wasn't like that before they worked on it so could they please put it right. If it needs any new work they should ring and inform you what it is and how it came to be nessecary before they carry on. If they start trying to charge you tell us what they reckon the problem is and we can likely spot a rip-off.