Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grenade under hood

4WD (mine is a '78) has that belt driven fan "on a stick" as I call it. Well the stud snapped while doing around 75mph in the left lane. Little plastic fan pieces all over the place. Ate the radiator,no other real damage. Don't ya know I just did the water pump and hoses and worked around or under actually,the LARGE bracket for the A/C and alt. wich also holds the driven fan. I was looking at that stud the fan rotates on and thought it was not well engineered and would be a problem sooner or later. Well I sure wasn't thinking less than 48 hours later. Waaaaaagh.

But in some SiCk way it was somehwat enjoyable going back into it today and pulling out another reman'd radiator,etc... and making it my current daily driver.

Luckily the eaten radiator was only $35 found in New Haven from an older rad. shop. And the replacement was not much more.

Ended up doing the oil pump,front crank seal,valve cover gaskets,set points gap, etc....out of love.:rolleyes:

If you eliminate that driven fan you'll need a V-belt around 13285 (very small) for the A/C to Alt. .