Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
EA-81 Gear Linkage Bushings P/Ns?
Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:16 PM
Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:13 PM
For the shift rod collar can be replaced by a 1/2 OD schedule 40 pipe.
you will need to grind the seam weld to get it to fit over the shift rod. There is still a little slop there, but it's a lot tighter than the stock worn out shift rod collar.
Here is the stock number for the inline joint 8412K12.
Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:35 PM
The issue, as s'ko pointed out, is the shift rod/sleeve interface. I have a been through a couple of fixes for this - my most recent is in this post:
I recently had the opportunity to improve upon this method - I had to replace the 4 speed in my lifted wagon and during the process I decided to change to my "version 2" slop fix as outlined in my above post. I went the next level this time and installed a second locking bolt at a different angle - in this case I had already drilled the shift rod and sleeve for a 3/8" bolt several years back when I did one of my first "clamp style" version 1 slop fixes. Being already larger, I had to go with a 7/16 thread for the main bolt. I then drilled and tapped for a 5mm socket head cap screw at a different angle to help lock the sleeve from pivoting on the 7/16" bolt.
I have yet to drive the wagon with this installed as I'm building some new lift components for it, but it feels very solid and I used no new parts in the process. Just off-the-shelf components. I also removed a bit of metal from the bushing ear sleeve as I mentioned above to tighten the rubber bushings and I moved the pivot point of the shifter up by 3/4" to give the shifter a bit less throw and get back some height that it lost with the lift. You can see the where I cut and welded a section of steel rod into the pivot point and moved the shift rod/sleeve section down by the same amount.
Anyway - that's the version 3 slop fix as it sits now. I'll be able to fully evaluate it's performance after I'm able to drive it for a while. I'm planning to take it to the show this year.
Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:22 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users