Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear GL axle stuck

I can't post in the repair section so I'll try here. I even did a search.:)

I have been reworking a 1982 GL E81 powered wagon. I need new axles all the way around and the rear drivers side is stuck at the splines on the wheel end.

I removed my pins and the diff side was quick with no issues. The splines on the wheel end have a firm grip. I used a big brass drift and got no movement. I have been soaking it with PB blaster. I had to put it back together and drive it (rattle rattle:rolleyes:) I then realized I need new suspension bushings and some chassis black put in the right places. I have plans to remove the suspension arm, take apart the axle and press it out with my 20 ton press.

I am hoping this can be done. I know I need new wheel bearings after my hammer and drift work. That's hard on them.

I bought napa cv axles and now regret it after reading up here some. I will throw those in and buy some quality front's when I get to that end.

In the mean time is there a way to get the two apart without me uncontrollably rebuilding the entire assembly in a foreign language. I really need too in the long run?

Can I throw this in?

I would like to find a suspension bushing source. My regular shop only does SAE truck stuff. My rear diff is missing the whole upper half.

I just hit 300K and I am really starting to like this car.

I had that issue with my 82 DL. What I did was pull the hub and take the axle out (outer stub attached to the CV shaft) and I used a large ball joint separator tool (pickle fork) and hammered the tapers on the tool into the notch between the stub axle and the female part of the CV joint. As stubborn as the thing was it surprised me how easy it came apart. I pulled the axle to do that because I didn't want to brinenell the bearings and they are still rolling fine several years later.

Thanks. I will give that a try. At 300K I should do bearings too I suppose. 90 bucks a side... ouch. The rears are quiet but the fronts I can hear. I was just talking with someone about replacing several sets of wheel bearings on a car long before the life span was up. The owner lived next to some train tracks and the passing trains made enough vibration to destroy the bearings prematurely. That took a while to figure out. I don't like hammering on components with bearings.

Anyways.. thank you.

on my probe I had that problem and I used a steering wheel puller to push the axle out of the hub, had to take the hub and axle completely off though. since your gonna replace the axle take the hub and axle assembly out and beat it out of there with a hammer, thats worked wonders for me too. I had set it between two stack of cinder blocks with wood on top of each stack so it held the hub and the axle dangled freely and beat that thing like it was my stepchild