Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing front seatbelts in 06 Outback

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 good_time

good_time

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Western slope

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

I just aquired an 06 Outback that was in a wreck and the front seatbelts are locked up. Any clues on what it takes to replace them? Thanks Good_time

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Welcome.

You'll need the new belts, and need to remove some of the interior panels to get at the belt mechanism so it can be replaced.

I would suggest being cautious about removing some of the interior side panels if the car has side airbags.

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

The seatbelts could be pyrotechnic as well, which is why the old ones locked up. there is the equivalent of a shotgun shell in there that sucks up all the loose webbing in an accident.

Don't mix up side to side, disconnect the battery for 1 hour with the headlights on and you should be ok

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

I just bought and repaired our OBW as well this year with the "one time use", exploding seat belt mechanisms, whatever they're called. You'll need to confirm that you have those though, as the regular seat belts would be worlds apart difference.

If yours has the "lock up" mechanism like mine, they are a one time replacement item. Buy a set from a junk yard and install them. Sounds like you're repairing this thing yourself, so surely you can replace a seat belt.

It's an entire assembly, just start removing the side panel/trim pieces and you'll see how it works, it's very simple and only requires removing like 3 bolts to get it out once the trim pieces are removed.

#5 good_time

good_time

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Western slope

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

Hey thanks for the info. I was just confirming what I thought about the locking belts. I was just a little wary about the air bags. Another thought is do they have to be the locking ones I install?

Thanks again Good_time

#6 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

They don't "have" to be, but subaru did put millions of dollars into a safety system that assumes that there will be locking retractors in case of a collision

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

I would install the exact same belts in the system. It's integrated into the SRS system so if you installed something else the entire system wouldn't work, meaning the front air bags, side air bags, and seat belts. I wouldn't disable the air bags just to save a few dollars on seat belts, particularly on such a new and valuable car.

#8 djmark7

djmark7

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • NW New Jersey

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Subaru guarantees seatbelts for the life of the car, maybe call a dealer and save headaches?

#9 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,800 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

Subaru guarantees seatbelts for the life of the car, maybe call a dealer and save headaches?

they're not going to guarantee wrecked parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users