Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric powerd suby?

A couple of 9" DC motors would work pretty well. You would need an adapter between the motors and trans...the motors would also probably need to be re-phased. They would require a motor controller and charge controller, since you would probably end up running around 96-144VDC to the motors, but keep 12VDC to all the accessories. Of course, there would be all the nickel and dime stuff too.

It would be a large project, but pretty cool as an end result.

Sure it could work. Just like any other front wheel drive ev setup. I dont know if driving the rear wheels would eat the batteries faster or not, but it would seem like it to me, but if thats the case just keep it in fwd loose the rear driveline and fill up the boot with batteries.

I'm toying around with an electric motorcycle, but its way on the back burner right now behind a few other car projects. I hope your dad goes for it. Keep us posted please if he does.

Daniel

lots and lots of batteries needed.

lots of charging to keep them fresh.

can't let batteries freeze in the winter, etc

current battery technology not good enough, too many charge cycles eats them.

replacement needed all the time

can't use older batteries

I want to do this to my BRAT when we get tiny micro batteries, lay them in the bed of the BRAT and charge them via a solar panel on top of them.

gotta wait for technology to get there.

Curb weights from the two FSMs I have:

87-88 (Gen 1) Justy:

2WD DL = 1,655 lb

2WD GL = 1,675 lb

4WD GL = 1,785 lb (5MT)(Gen 1 4WD only produced in '88, all '87s are 2WD)

'81 Hatch:

2WD DL = 2,025 lb

2WD GL = 2,130 lb

4WD GL = 2,215 lb

[EDIT] The Gen 1 Justy also came with 12" wheels stock, many have been switched to 13", but there are still plenty of the 12's out there. It is definitely much easier to find 155 and 145 sized tires for the 12" wheel size.

Edited by ferox
Additional thoughts

lots and lots of batteries needed.

lots of charging to keep them fresh.

can't let batteries freeze in the winter, etc

current battery technology not good enough, too many charge cycles eats them.

replacement needed all the time

can't use older batteries

I want to do this to my BRAT when we get tiny micro batteries, lay them in the bed of the BRAT and charge them via a solar panel on top of them.

gotta wait for technology to get there.

Some good Marine Grade batteries would do the trick. Battery technology isn't what it could be, but has come along way in just the last decade. The "secret" to the marine batteries is to never let them loose their charge completely, that is what really kills them... and letting them freeze. A trickle charge from a solar panel along with plug-in capabilites would be needed... and a battery warmer if you plan on being in the snow.