Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stub axles?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:29 PM

I did the frond wheel bearings on my 88 and they were a breeze, however i also changed an axle, and when i went to drive away the axle pin sheared. i'm sure it was in far enough, but the problem is why? it feels pretty good, maybe a little loose on the stub axle but it shears.

And now for the question, are front and rear stub axles interchangeable? cause if they are problem solved, if they arn't well then i'm in for a world of hurt.

#2 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:03 PM

You were sold the 25 spline inboard joint shafts and you needed the 23 spline inboard joint shafts. I did the same thing on mine - the computer here said that carbureted 88's took the 23 spline and fuel injected 88's took the 25 spline, so I installed the 25 spline one, drove around the building, and snapped the pin! I cussed up a storm, but I couldn't blame the parts guy, since it was me!

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:03 AM

I didn't think that the 25 fit on the 23, oh well, i'll have to try that on thursday when i get another chance to work on it.

#4 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:04 PM

As I said, they DO fit well enough to feel like you are actually doing it right - several of the splines grab. I kid you not! I have first hand knowledge!

#5 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:40 PM

As i said, i DIDN"T think they fit, but you are correct they do just enough to screw everything up. i got the right one and everything is a ok

#6 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

Nice of Sub to build them so they feel so close, huh?:banghead:

#7 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 30 January 2004 - 02:12 AM

Yea i love subaru engineering, everything is easy to fix, except for the axle count and the timing belts. other than that they seem to be the easiest cars to work on, i got the old axle out in less then 15 minutes, it took longer to get the new one in, i ripped the boot a little on the control arm but siliconed it right up no worries. i can hear my self think now that the bearings arn't growling like a cat in a plastic bag.

(no cats were harmed in the replacing of my axle)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users