Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stub axles?

I did the frond wheel bearings on my 88 and they were a breeze, however i also changed an axle, and when i went to drive away the axle pin sheared. i'm sure it was in far enough, but the problem is why? it feels pretty good, maybe a little loose on the stub axle but it shears.

And now for the question, are front and rear stub axles interchangeable? cause if they are problem solved, if they arn't well then i'm in for a world of hurt.

You were sold the 25 spline inboard joint shafts and you needed the 23 spline inboard joint shafts. I did the same thing on mine - the computer here said that carbureted 88's took the 23 spline and fuel injected 88's took the 25 spline, so I installed the 25 spline one, drove around the building, and snapped the pin! I cussed up a storm, but I couldn't blame the parts guy, since it was me!

Yea i love subaru engineering, everything is easy to fix, except for the axle count and the timing belts. other than that they seem to be the easiest cars to work on, i got the old axle out in less then 15 minutes, it took longer to get the new one in, i ripped the boot a little on the control arm but siliconed it right up no worries. i can hear my self think now that the bearings arn't growling like a cat in a plastic bag.

(no cats were harmed in the replacing of my axle)