Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown head gasket??

Guest KGB4187

First off I have a 1991 Legacy LS 2.2 4eat with ~95K... Today I went to go to the movies, and I got to the stop sign infront of my house at noticed the engine felt a little weird, and then noticed there was a large plume of white smoke covering the front yard... I turned the car off and popped the hood, no smoke there, nothing dripping below By this time people were stopping and asking if everything was ok and stopping traffic around me so I could decide what to do. I figured I'd back it into the drive way and decide from there. I started it but it really didnt feel good, put it into reverse and it stalled. Restarted it and made it back to the drive way and cut it (barely made it, couldnt see anything behind me). Smoke was still coming from the tailpipe for like 2 min after I turned it off. Still nothing noticable under the hood or dripping below. I've had 2 people tell me its probably the head gasket. There was a little smoke after I put on a new perrin air filter, but that just might have been the oil getting sucked in. Thanks for any help, I need it...

Guest KGB4187

I've checked a few times, but theres no sign of oil in the coolant, but I can only check under the radiator cap and in the overflow tank. Also theres no sign of coolant on the dipstick.

Guest lmdew

Smell the Exhaust, if antifreez in going into the cyclinder, you should smell a sweet aromma.

There is also a kit you can check the radiator with to see if exhaust is going into it. Most auto parts stores sell them.

Good Luck

Guest ccrinc

If that was blue smoke coming from the tailpipe, it's very likely a bad fuel injector. Very common on Legacys. Will, of course, also make your engine run like s*@t. :evil:

A good used one is fine. Be careful not to curl the o-ring seal. It will run even worse if you do.

Emily

www.ccrengines.com