Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Snorkel Setup

bobs97c5

I just thought I would share how I hooked up my snorkel on my lifted 87 GL-10 with EJ22 swap.

First I had my friend fab up a 3" diameter snorkel at his exhaust shop that I have then painted and mounted to the passenger side pillar with two nuts that were welded to the pillar and a couple brackets that bolt to those nuts. I topped the snorkel off with a 3" Safari Snorkel head.

Under the hood I modified the stock EJ22 intake. I cut off the flexible part of the intake behind the air flow sensor and then moved the air flow sensor back to make room for the new K&N Apollo enclosed in-line air intake. I had to move the IAC valve hose connector back by where the crank case connectors are. I used JB Weld to seal it up nicely to prevent air leaks.

I used an 80mm to 70mm adapter to mate the air flow sensor to the air filter housing. On the front side of the K&N air filter housing I used a 3" flex hose to mate up to the snorkel. It works great and I am happy with the results. I know it could have been done cleaner under the hood, but this works for me. :)

Under the hood:

Picture%20419.jpg

Picture%20432.jpg

A few shots of the snorkel:

Picture%20308.jpg

Picture%20307.jpg

Picture%20411.jpg

Picture%20448.jpg

Picture%20309.jpg

RC-5052AB.jpg

Edited by bobs97c5

Yep, that is 3" exhaust pipe. The entire setup costs about $230.

K&N Apollo = $130

Safari Snorkel Head = $70

Custom 3" snorkel piping = $25 for materials

1 can semi-flat black spray paint = $5

For the labor you'd likely have to tack on another $100 of someone's time if they're not your buddy willing to do it for free.

nice but SHEESH thats pricy for a snorkel. i think ill just hunt e-bay for a used one off a jeep or something and make it fit.

You could probably do without the Safari Snorkel head or keep your eyes peeled for a used one off of eBay. Also you could likely plumb the snorkel to the stock air box if you wanted to. I wanted a new in-line air filter and the K&N Apollo was the only in-line air filter that seemed to work for this application. Anyway, not cheap, but I am happy with it. The car will now get much cooler air and the K&N air filter is quite a nice improvement for the EJ22.

what kind of difference in MPG with the snorkel?

half of me says it would probably get better: colder, ram air, and K&N...

half of me says it would get worse: lots more travel distance for the air from atmosphere to EFI components...

i think it looks pretty clean under the hood...good job!:)

what kind of difference in MPG with the snorkel?

half of me says it would probably get better: colder, ram air, and K&N...

half of me says it would get worse: lots more travel distance for the air from atmosphere to EFI components...

True, there is a further distance for the air to travel through the snorkel, however that air is much colder and cleaner than the "under the hood," air. I averaged 24mpg last time I checked, but haven't driven the car enough since last weekend to see if there is a fuel economy change.

I just bought a Sachs MadAss scooter, so I've been riding that all week! I'll report back on this thread after my trip to the Oregon dunes to let you know what kind of fuel economy I am getting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
nice but SHEESH thats pricy for a snorkel. i think ill just hunt e-bay for a used one off a jeep or something and make it fit.

without the k&n apollo filter (which might i add is the nicest looking airbox for a cone filter ive seen) the whole setup would have been nothing.... combined with 3" pvc instead of steel piping, and you should be able to do one of these for 50 bucks max. i personally would have used the stock airbox, as its not really a restriction. also, being that i am from the midwest, we rust proof everything, and i would much rather have a plastic intake snorkel than steel for obvious reasons.

Nice set up. I will use a very familiar set up like this in October when I do mine on an 84 GL. I'll post pics when I am finished. I did a PVC cheap installation on my 87 Corolla. Here is a pic.

100_189f0.jpg

that's a pretty clean setup, any engine bay pics?

seeing as this is a subaru forum and the thread is titled "EJ22 Snorkel Setup" I will post mine.

snorkel002.jpg

subaru005.jpg

snorkel003.jpg

I shortened the EJ22 air intake tube alot,which involved relocating the hose connections.From their it passes through a bunch of heavy duty 3" RV sewer drain hookup.The airbox comes from a 2.2L mazda diesel.After that I cut a hole in the inner support and ran the sewer hookup through it to where it comes through the fender by the windshield.Then finally it goes into 3" schedule 20 PVC for the actual snorkel.The entire snorkel fits inside the body lines so it wont get knocked off.There is alittle bit of window screen mesh covering the inlet of the snorkel to prevent large particles from entering.The Inlet is turned so mud and debris doesn't get rammed in.

total cost: $30

• 2 weeks later...

I need to redo my snorkel setup under the hood.Apparently that pice of vinyl tube between my airbox and intake tube couldn't take the heat from my exhaust being 8" below it and melted.I went through a mud hole and the car started running poorly.Turns out a hole formed in the vinyl tube and it sucked mud right into my MAF and the engine.The engine seems fine but the MAF might be toast.The element was covered in mud.I washed it out and let it dry so I will re install it and see if it works.In the meantime however I need something flexible and 3" to go between the airbox and the intake tube,some that can withstand 100-200 degrees.Any suggestions?

almost seems worth making one out of aluminum for better durability and it wont rust(only down side it dents more easy than steel)

yeah, I just got the stick for free and had a 2.5-3" coupler sitting in the garage. if I had aluminum bending/welding supplies I'd be all over it.

yesser, 2.5-3 inch silicon coupler/reducer. the 2.5 end slips right over the 90 coming out of the airbox (this is all the 'intake' I got with my engine for the swap) I had to grease up and then heat the adapter to get it to fit over the 3" pipe. 3" inside diamater pipe vs 3" outside diamater coupler but it works.

if you see the first pic I posted

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/304704_10100461166899903_925133069_n.jpg

it shows the coupler and the 90. There is just enough pipe coming out of that 90 to get the coupler hooked to it.