Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Snorkel Setup

bobs97c5

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread.

I went with the:

K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems Universal

&

Stone For 96-03 Toyota 90 series Landcruiser Prado Snorkel Air Intake Snorkeling

Most challenging part was getting everything to fit and find the proper adapters, but I found some at the local hardware store and in my tool box.

Also had to reroute one of the hoses from the idle control valve and had to relocate one of the plastic fittings on the intake piping.

They say that the intake head is designed to be in forward position with escape channels that the ram air forces the dissipated water particles to drain from, but I don't trust it and drive with it faced aft just in case. Other wise, I have not integrated a drain hole yet. As long as I periodically clean the air filter it should be fine.

Anyways enjoy the pictures!:banana:

Bryan

SubaruGLprojectthisweek.jpg

192561_10151182948013124_1383535449_o-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

MtHoodoffroad-1.jpg

338761_10151195718558124_2074063690_o.jpg

IMG_4280-L.jpg

IMG_4285-L.jpg

IMG_4254-L.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Edited by subaruman5

Kitty!

Looks great! Very clean. My only concern with such a setup is that it could be easy to damage if it's sticking out the side like that. I like your waterproof ammo box in the spare tire location, been considering doing that to store my stereo amp. What do you have hiding in there?

congrats on picking up this hatch!! It's a sweet rig!

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread.

I went with the:

K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake Systems Universal

&

Stone For 96-03 Toyota 90 series Landcruiser Prado Snorkel Air Intake Snorkeling

Most challenging part was getting everything to fit and find the proper adapters, but I found some at the local hardware store and in my tool box.

Also had to reroute one of the hoses from the idle control valve and had to relocate one of the plastic fittings on the intake piping.

They say that the intake head is designed to be in forward position with escape channels that the ram air forces the dissipated water particles to drain from, but I don't trust it and drive with it faced aft just in case. Other wise, I have not integrated a drain hole yet. As long as I periodically clean the air filter it should be fine.

Anyways enjoy the pictures!:banana:

Bryan

SubaruGLprojectthisweek.jpg

192561_10151182948013124_1383535449_o-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

MtHoodoffroad-1.jpg

338761_10151195718558124_2074063690_o.jpg

IMG_4280-L.jpg

IMG_4285-L.jpg

IMG_4254-L.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Great idea! Would make doing the EJ swap a lot easier if you didn't have to reroute everything to the interior. How'd you make it so the wires can get in but it's still water tight?

It simply isn't water tight, but silicone and rubber grommets is best I could come up with including hole for wiring going to the ammo box. It is what it is:)

I was gonna run mine through the firewall and possibly weld or glue it up, that way it's sealed off from the engine bay and gets air and wiring from under the dash, should be fairly water tight from the inside. Since I was gonna have an amp in there, was prolly gonna need a small 12v computer fan to cool it.

cyfun how are you sealing your intake where the silicone coupler slips INTO the PVC? On my own snorkel setup joints like that are a constant source of leaks.I redesigned the snorkel to remove some of those but still some remain...

Sadly, I haven't gotten to the point of attaching snorkel piping yet, my Sooby is still up on blocks in the driveway, waiting for me to finish lifting it a few more inches. But the plan is probably to use some good epoxies and not silicone. I have, however, relocated the EJ22 airbox up to where the spare tire mount is, so it's nice and high and far back.

I have hydrolocked 3 engines that had the airbox up where the spare tire sits. My airbox is up at the top of the car but it still isnt 100% leakproof. The space where the spare tire used to sit is now filled with an ammo box holding my ECU and relays and stuff.I used cut vacuum lines to line the edges of the holes for the wires than I filled them in with expanding foam and so far it seems to be working.