Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

finding endwrench articles...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • new york

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

Someone shared this link from endwrench..
http://www.endwrench...verhaulSp98.pdf

I went to the EW site but cannot locate this article simply by doing a search..?
I wanted to get the same article on the 2.5 liter
Specifically about valve adjustment procedures
Anyone know how to find articles on there? Do you have to be a paid subscriber or something?
thanks

#2 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

DOHC valve info:
http://endwrench.com...EngineValve.pdf

#3 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

I definately have difficulties searching Endwrench.

So much so that there is an Endwrench folder in my Bookmarks where I save links.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,498 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

If you know the general Idea of what you're looking for use google. Works 95% of the time.

#5 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • new york

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

thanks OBW99

I should have mentioned that mine is not a twin cam ,,,,and thank god for that because I'm not going to buy the special tool they say is required...

I tried google searching for the end wrench artical for a 2.5 SOHC but no luck
I sure would like to know the secret for finding it (do you have to belong to a special secret society?LOL)

I'm still not clear tho if the SOHC also has those shims or is it simply like the old OHV subys....that was easy

#6 OB99W

OB99W

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

thanks OBW99

I should have mentioned that mine is not a twin cam ,,,,and thank god for that because I'm not going to buy the special tool they say is required...

Sorry, I didn't know you were looking for 2.5 SOHC info. (I looked at your other threads, and it seems we're discussing a 2002.)

I tried google searching for the end wrench artical for a 2.5 SOHC but no luck

There's no need for it, your engine should be covered by the info on page 15 of the EndWrench article linked to in your first post of this thread. Be sure to work on the engine cold, both to get the right adjustment and to keep your skin happier. The rocker adjustment locknut should be tightened to 7 ft-lbs after adjustment. Since tightening the locknut slightly changes the clearance, turn the crank two full turns after adjustment and recheck clearances when the cam sprocket arrow aligns again for each cylinder.

I sure would like to know the secret for finding it (do you have to belong to a special secret society?LOL)[

It's a trade secret. ;) (Actually, it's no secret that the search function at the site is less than stellar.)

#7 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • new york

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

[quote name='OB99W']Sorry, I didn't know you were looking for 2.5 SOHC info. (I looked at your other threads, and it seems we're discussing a 2002.)

There's no need for it, your engine should be covered by the info on page 15 of the EndWrench article linked to in your first post of this thread. Be sure to work on the engine cold, both to get the right adjustment and to keep your skin happier. The rocker adjustment locknut should be tightened to 7 ft-lbs after adjustment. Since tightening the locknut slightly changes the clearance, turn the crank two full turns after adjustment and recheck clearances when the cam sprocket arrow aligns again for each cylinder.

OBW99
Are you saying I should use the 2.2L engine instructions for the 2.5 SOHC valve adjustment (as well as the clearance specs)?
thanks

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

i cheat. I use google with endwrench as part of the search term.

nipper

#9 OB99W

OB99W

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

Are you saying I should use the 2.2L engine instructions for the 2.5 SOHC valve adjustment (as well as the clearance specs)?
thanks

Yes, the procedure and clearance specs in the 2.2L article are also correct for the 2.5 SOHC -- just to be certain, I verified that in a factory manual. Be sure to use the additional info I provided (engine cold, etc.), and the proper cam sprocket mark (yes, it's the arrow for valve clearance).
You're welcome.

EDIT: Note that the clearance unit is millimeters -- 0.20 mm is only 0.0079 inch and 0.25 mm is just 0.0098 inch.

Edited by OB99W, 20 August 2009 - 06:41 AM.
Emphasizing units

#10 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

FYI, The 'current' Endwrench dated Nov 2008 was their final issue. Take it to heart. I hope they do start/continue, but there was no renewal fee this year. ( it's free 3-6 months AFTER issued ).

Bearing that in mind, I might file a copy of all that I consider important. Without the fee's, I don't know how long the repository will remain there, hopefully it's on a server that is funded. It remains a wealth of knowledge for the Subaru Mechanic. Although most of it's content appears in later FSM manuals and supplements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users