Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Skid Plate + Ammo can tool Boxes.

:banana: Well I finally got my New skid plate installed and installed some ammo cans on the Bed walls above the wheel well for storage... Thats the only thing bad about the Brat No inside storage...

Anyway have pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22068&id=1344730058&l=84d66fb20b

The new stuff is on page three and Four of the Album

I don't know exactly what the original skid plate looked like, but Its going to have to come off every time for an oil change... i used SS hardware, so should be easy to get off each time.

I ended up using 12 ga 36ksi steel plate (its about 16 Pounds)... My bar already had intermediate bars under the oil pan, but kept getting big clumps of mud and dirt / grass that would sit right on the cross bar and get the crank pully all muddy.

I've made a cad drawing if anyone wants to do the same... I had mine fabricated, but it would be easy to make at home except for the 10 degree bend that is necessary for it to fit.

-Daniel

Oh And I also Jacked up the front end by about 7/8" by screwing up the Struts... Now the front is almost level with the rear... Needs about 3/4" More.

I like it! I also like those lovely WRX seats you have in there. I hope to do the same one day with my hatch.

Thanks... Ya the seats are Awesome, $200 at the junk yard... They came out of a wrecked 2002 WRX Wagon... I want to find another set like them from like a newer 07 or 08 for my 2003 Nissan Frontier... The mounts are very similar... Was easy to mount as well, Just made new mounts out of angle, They only fit in the Brat with all the sliders and all adjustment taken out as I am 6'-2" 250lbs So the seats are fixed position now... Also took out the head liner.. Also the Passager seat had this big switch in the seat for the airbag. so the passenger seat sits about 1" higher than the driver seat.

-Daniel

I have the same style ammo can as bed-storage in MY brat! :lol:

Good job!

Thanks.

Backwoods, How did you set up the Locks? So far no one has messed with my box, but I need to lock it as I am not always nearby the Brat to Shoot the punks...

I am still debating on riveting on a stamped lock loop that will stick thought the slots in the handles and just Working up a Big Bolt that goes though the lips of the LID with a Lock.

I couldn't find a whole lot of pictures of this install w/ locks on the web... Just a few good examples...

I have friends that are about to do the same thing (one with a 72 Chevy Pickup long bed, and one with a 80's Ford ranger. As the price cant be beat... Plus it looks cool...

-Daniel

Edited by danrenfroe2016
Remove bad words!