Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'99 Outback rear hatch latch stuck,

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SubaruForDan

SubaruForDan

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • gate city

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

i have to use my key to open the rear hatch of my '99 outback wagon. While technically functional, I have to use two hands, one on the key, the other on the latch in order to open it. Parcels need to be put down before I can open the hatch. Winter is coming and there are parcels I carry that I do not want to put down in mud, slush or snow. How do I fix it?

#2 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

SEARCH!

Common issue if it's due to rust.

I forget but try pulling the handle out THEN lock and unlock from the power lock botton or remote. Then pull on the handle again and it will probably open. If that doesn't work try the opposite. Push the handle IN while the hatch is down, lock and unlock using the power botton/remote whatever then try and open it again.

Relatively inexpensive and somewhat easy fix. I want to say the parts are still less than 40 bucks. Assuming it's the typical rust issue.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,755 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

check the archives here for many past posts on this subject. I replaced my outside latch on my 99 OBW a few months back. It is an easy job. Bought replacement handle on line for about $35. My old one was ruined by rust, prolly the same problem with yours. Good luck fixing yours.

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

there's a sticky with this in it.

new gen FAQ sticky

Edited by johnceggleston, 19 August 2009 - 08:18 AM.

#5 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,606 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

It's rust... for sure.
My '99 OBW did that, then it stopped opening at all. Pulled off the inside panel. De-rusted, and voila! It worked again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users