Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It does handle well in snow

92 Loyale, 2wd auto.

We got this snowy icy nonsense here in olde Virginny and to my discredit, I should mention I have been driving in this mess. The other night I drove for over 100 miles and saw about 5 cars only!!!

These roads are in the country and narrow with lots of turns! Yet the Loyale endured. I think I've took it right to the limits of its ability, or rather to the limits of a heavy object travelling in these conditons. No sliding, nothing. I did slow down when turning considerably.

Originally posted by viceversa

Yeah, I can imagine.

FWD rules in snow. Versus RWD that is.

I had an 85 FWD Carbed 3spd auto GL wagon back in the Blizzard of 95-96. I had a set of Hakkapalitta snow tires on the front and I couldn't stop the thing if I tried. Only on solid ice would I have trouble. The old 3spd auto was really cool. When you put it in 2 it stayed in 2 the entire time. It didn't start you in 1 and then shift to 2. That made the car unstoppable. I managed to plow through snow level with the top of the front bumper in that car.

As for FWD vs. RWD it is debatable. Getting going tends to be much better in a FWD car, but after that it leans towards RWD. with FWD the front tires are steering and driving which can lead to trouble. In RWD the fronts only have to steer so you tend to get a little better handling. Personally I'd say FWD is better for getting around and driving like normal. For racing and for the sheer FUN RWD is the way to go. My friend was just telling me about an article he read from Canada that talked about this and claimed that RWD with snow tires is the best setup for snow driving.

Either way, a FWD subaru still kicks butt in the snow!

Keith

with RWD, you need something real heavy in the back. I have a RWD station wagon, one of the full size monsters and that thing can fly on the interstate with the big V8 engine but gets stuck real easy in almost nothing. Even in mud, which is very annoying.

I also have a FWD tempo, yet another vehicle handles well in snow.

Though 4wd would be noticeably better than either - I almost got stuck today even in the Loyale.

rwd is more apt to thro you into a skid in icy conditions than a front whl drive will....altho rwd does have it's place, for my money I prefer the fwd in snowy, icy conditions.

I too have a fwd only wagon and very rarely have a problem in snow. it has to be pretty darn deep for my lil wagon to get stuck...so far the only time i have gotten stuck with it was trying to back out of the driveway with a very large drift behind me...got myself unstuck by rocking it and then drove forward thru the middle of the yard!!