Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some how I lost my key and remote key opener for my 01 OBW VDC. I may have missed placed it, but most likely I lost it here on the farm the last few days in the fields. Any how the spare key sets off the alarm when I try and open the drivers door with it. Is there any way I can disable the alarm till I get another remote opener? do I also need another master Key? thanks brad

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

See Step 7

ALPINE SYSTEM, new starting in 1999, used through 2004

information is always subject to change and correction Used on:

Legacy, Outback all models 1999-2004

Forester 2001-2004

Impreza 2002-2004

1999 Legacy only: Passive arming of the optional 1999 alarm system.

The dealer could program the alarm to arm automatically whether the doors are locked or not. In this mode the doors must be manually locked or using the power lock button or the remote.

In Passive Mode the system will automatically activate in one minute but will not lock the doors. it will arm the alarm even if the doors are not locked. Lock the doors using the power lock switch with the door open. If you are using the remote to lock the doors, there would be no reason to set Passive Mode because locking with the remote would arm the alarm anyway so I'm not sure why this function exists.... To open the doors use the remote or the key, but then the alarm will go off and you'll need

To set Passive Mode:

Open driver's door and remove the plastic step sill that curves up toward the front.

Connect the single-pole white connectors.

subarualarm1.jpgsubarualarm5.gifthe plain gray buttons were used 99-01, colored buttons for 2002-04

How To Use The Alpine Alarm

Battery #CR2032.

Range? App 50ft. Battery fade, other cars, buildings, walls etc affect range.

1. Locking. Push the large button. This locks all the doors and will set the alarm (if equipped and in setable mode).

2. Unlocking. Push the small button once to unlock the driver's door and disarm alarm, if set. Push the small button a second time to unlock all the doors.

3. Honking horn?

On 1999-2002 models the horn honks once for lock and twice for unlock, 3 times if a door is not closed. This audible honk feature is optional. To turn it off or to turn it on unlock all the doors and hold *both* buttons down until the horn honks once. The horn will always honk 3 times if a door is not fully closed when you lock it.

This was changed in 2003, models to a 'chirp'. There is no longer an audible honk feature. If a door is ajar the system will chirp 5x and the lights flash.

4. Alarm. (optional)

System chirps when locked with the remote if you have an alarm, and no you can't turn the chirp off.

5. Valet mode or alarm off: alarm light (red dot center dashboard display) rapidly flashing 3 times means the alarm is in "Valet" mode and is not setable. The light will stop flashing when you start the car.

To set valet mode or just to disable the security alarm system: 1. unlock all doors 2. physically open the driver's door 3. hold the UNLOCK button on remote for 2+ seconds or so. The red 'security' light will then flash 2 times a second until the car is turned on.

6. Arming the alarm: to make an alarm in valet model arm-able, unlock all the doors and hold the small button down on the remote until the light stops flashing. Now when you lock the doors the alarm will be set and the light will flash on and off, on and off.

7. Alarm goes off?

Push the small button on the remote

OVERRIDING the alarm when you don't have a Remote to disable it.

If you don't have the remote put the key in the ignition and turn it on and off three times and the car will start on the 4th time

8. Program remotes: works on Alpine system.

Unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed. Cycle key quickly but carefully on-off appr 10 times until the car honks one time.

Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it.

Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it.

When you're done, remove the key and the horn should honk 3 times. You're all set.

Sometime it takes more than 10 on-offs to set program mode. Open/close the door, lock/unlock etc, wait 10 minutes, then try again.

Search the above link if this still doesn't help or you have a different remote than the one described.

Edited by brus brother

My my lights only flashed when I locked or unlocked the car. It would beep twice if the tailgate was ajar. I had the Grey button remote, would there be a problem if I purchased the colored button remote that came with the newer models?, I see quite a few of the colored remotes on Ebay.

See Step 3 about "optional" honking horn. Are you the original owner and is it possible the horn option was deactivated?

I had the grey button remote for my 2000 Legacy GT and can't remember if the lights flashed but I definitely deactivated the annoying honker.

If you don't get an answer on the site, call a dealership and ask them if the colored button remote would substitute. (Are you in Ohio? I always call the west coast dealers if it's past closing time here on the east coast ;))

PS Did Step 7 silence the alarm?

Edited by brus brother

See Step 3 about "optional" honking horn. Are you the original owner and is it possible the horn option was deactivated?

I had the grey button remote for my 2000 Legacy GT and can't remember if the lights flashed but I definitely deactivated the annoying honker.

If you don't get an answer on the site, call a dealership and ask them if the colored button remote would substitute. (Are you in Ohio? I always call the west coast dealers if it's past closing time here on the east coast ;))

PS Did Step 7 silence the alarm?

Im not the original owner, yes, I guess step 7 works. As I was able today to twice get the horn to stop buy trying to start the car three times in Walmarts parking lot. I would like to just shut the alarm system off till I can get another remote fob and not leave the car unlock, as im not going though this everytime I get in the car.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

I don't see a solution for your model year on the site linked above but some of the other solutions for disarming (valet mode) for other year/models may work...worth a try OR call a dealer and ask the service manager. They were very helpful when my wife had the car and triggered the alarm by accident w/o a remote.

or call 1-800-Alpine1 for the solution from Alpine

Edited by brus brother

have you tried pushing the reset button on the wiring harness?

it may be hard to find, or tightly taped on the the harness.

Most of the ones I see are like that.

But occasionally there is a reset button right by the hood release. But I only really deal with up to 99's so I may be incorrect.

• 1 year later...