Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

timing belt questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jesusno2

jesusno2

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • oregon

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

I know this may be a stupid question and I'm sure the awnser is somewhere on this board but I'm using my phone for internet acess right now and searching takes forever. My question is what marks do I line up the crank with before installing the belts on my ea82 gl wagon I see the timing degree marks and looks like 3 lines or so with no degrees indicated is that it? And which one is it? I must say thank god for this board I though this scoob was the crazest thing I ever worked on untill I found this place! And hopefull fixing my goofed up oil pump seal will help with that CLATTER!!! I also got the other seals to replace also .

#2 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Yup. Thats it. The three marks on the flywheel. I use the middle one of the three. I line it up directly under the cast pointer/indicator.

#3 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • KY

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

After first belt installed, make sure you rotate the engine one full revolution before installing the second belt.

#4 jesusno2

jesusno2

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • oregon

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Man you guys are fast! Thanks a lot I'm pretty sure I got it figured out I just wasn't sure about those marks. And which one I was supposed to line up with the cast nub . Looks like the passenger side cam has a little hole that goes straight up the drivers side hold points down correct? Rotate engine 360 to make sure it stays the same correct?

#5 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Man you guys are fast! Thanks a lot I'm pretty sure I got it figured out I just wasn't sure about those marks. And which one I was supposed to line up with the cast nub . Looks like the passenger side cam has a little hole that goes straight up the drivers side hold points down correct?

( Rotate engine 360 to make sure it stays the same correct?)

rotate the engine one full turn after the first belt is replaced , than install the second belt , basically one cam hole will point up and the other cam hole will point down , when your done...

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,837 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:59 AM

you said oil pump "seal". the oil pump on an EA82 has 3 needed parts to properly reseal it. the oil pump body to engine block gasket (mickey mouse), an oring (EA82 only), and the front shaft seal. replace them all, the mickey mouse seal will be the culprit of ticking.

if the reseal doesn't fix it, you need a new pump.

#7 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

all of the above is certainly recommended..but in my case to get rid of the "tick", I had to also change out the "O" ring seal on the passenger side head which involves removing the head, etc..(it is only on that side)..the motor oil has always been changed on a regular basis and I am stilling useing the original oil pump..a great article was written many yrs ago about this procedure..maybe a "search will help??

Edited by Petersubaru, 20 August 2009 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users