Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt questions

I know this may be a stupid question and I'm sure the awnser is somewhere on this board but I'm using my phone for internet acess right now and searching takes forever. My question is what marks do I line up the crank with before installing the belts on my ea82 gl wagon I see the timing degree marks and looks like 3 lines or so with no degrees indicated is that it? And which one is it? I must say thank god for this board I though this scoob was the crazest thing I ever worked on untill I found this place! And hopefull fixing my goofed up oil pump seal will help with that CLATTER!!! I also got the other seals to replace also .

Man you guys are fast! Thanks a lot I'm pretty sure I got it figured out I just wasn't sure about those marks. And which one I was supposed to line up with the cast nub . Looks like the passenger side cam has a little hole that goes straight up the drivers side hold points down correct? Rotate engine 360 to make sure it stays the same correct?

Man you guys are fast! Thanks a lot I'm pretty sure I got it figured out I just wasn't sure about those marks. And which one I was supposed to line up with the cast nub . Looks like the passenger side cam has a little hole that goes straight up the drivers side hold points down correct?

( Rotate engine 360 to make sure it stays the same correct?)

rotate the engine one full turn after the first belt is replaced , than install the second belt , basically one cam hole will point up and the other cam hole will point down , when your done...

you said oil pump "seal". the oil pump on an EA82 has 3 needed parts to properly reseal it. the oil pump body to engine block gasket (mickey mouse), an oring (EA82 only), and the front shaft seal. replace them all, the mickey mouse seal will be the culprit of ticking.

if the reseal doesn't fix it, you need a new pump.

all of the above is certainly recommended..but in my case to get rid of the "tick", I had to also change out the "O" ring seal on the passenger side head which involves removing the head, etc..(it is only on that side)..the motor oil has always been changed on a regular basis and I am stilling useing the original oil pump..a great article was written many yrs ago about this procedure..maybe a "search will help??

Edited by Petersubaru