Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear diff stub axle question.

I've got this LSD sitting here with the DOJ cups frozen to the stubs.

Tried everything from BFH, PB Blaster, heat,

tying cable off to a tree and winching, etc.

Can i remove the side covers as is, or do i need access to the E10 torx bolt to remove the stubs first?

removing the side covers will do nothing really to get the stubs out.

I assume you drove the roll pins out on both. Y or N

pickel fork?

you will have to remove the axles to get to the torx bolt if its a clutch type lsd

-you cannot remove the stubs on the clutch type lsd without removing, or breaking the torx bolt-well you could cut thru the stub which cuts the bolt.

if its a vlsd then ther are circlips holding the stubs not the torx .

Edited by bheinen74

I assume you drove the roll pins out on both. Y or N
Yes

pickel fork?
Yes

you will have to remove the axles to get to the torx bolt if its a clutch type lsd

It is, and that's what i needed to know.

I suppose a penetrating bath wouldn't hurt to try, but i think i'm gonna have to cut 'em off. I had enough torque on them to pull my wagon with the E-brake on.

spray pb blaster thru the roll pin holes, take a bigger hammer, get a punch, and hammer/punch along the outer part near where the roll pin goes thru. spray pblaster near the diff where the stubs stick out. the jolting action may allow the penetrate to sneak in where it is held up. also, try to smack the axles on towards the diff, and also hammer away from the diff- try both directions in an attempt to start it.

Edited by bheinen74

If you take the boot off the cv and pull the retaining ring out of the cv cup, you can drop the diff out with the cups on it. Then, clean the grease out of the cups, you will see a sheet metal plug in the bottom of the cv cup. Use a chisel to mutilate the crap out of the sheetmetal and punch a hole in the middle of it. This will give you acces to the torx bolt. I use a 6pt 1/4" drive deep metric socket, 9mm or somthing odd like that, pound it in through the jagged hole and it gets the bolt out every time. The bolts are tight, really tight. Using an impact gun with some reducing adapters down to the 1/4" socket size is advisable, but go easy on the gun.

I've blown up a lot of diffs, and in NH the cups are always rusted to the shafts.

If you take the boot off the cv and pull the retaining ring out of the cv cup, you can drop the diff out with the cups on it. Then, clean the grease out of the cups, you will see a sheet metal plug in the bottom of the cv cup. Use a chisel to mutilate the crap out of the sheetmetal and punch a hole in the middle of it. This will give you acces to the torx bolt. I use a 6pt 1/4" drive deep metric socket, 9mm or somthing odd like that, pound it in through the jagged hole and it gets the bolt out every time. The bolts are tight, really tight. Using an impact gun with some reducing adapters down to the 1/4" socket size is advisable, but go easy on the gun.

+1 to all this. get down to an empty cup and pry out the sheet metal cover at the bottom.

Using an actual E10 socket makes it easier. Available through Cornwell tools, in deep 1/4 drive. Comes with a *gearwrench* branding on it:confused:

+1 to all this. get down to an empty cup and pry out the sheet metal cover at the bottom.

Using an actual E10 socket makes it easier. Available through Cornwell tools, in deep 1/4 drive. Comes with a *gearwrench* branding on it:confused:

I forgot all about that cover inside the cup, helluva idea.

Last time, Zap shipped me the proper socket,

this time i'm gonna have to buy it.

Gets more use than i would have ever imagined.