Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 Outback 2.5 plugs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:51 PM

I got the plugs changed but what a pain. There is only about 1.5" between the engine and the frame, so little you have to put the tools in one at a time (socket, extension, ratchet).

The only way to make this job less of a pain would be to raise the engine. Anyone have a solution? I know you only have to do it every 60K or so, but the designers weren't thinking of the Mechanic.

#2 ts johnson

ts johnson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Portland, Maine

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:53 PM

I've been looking at those wondering how the hek my hand was going in there!! The designer must have had really small hands! Good tip on separated tool insertion!! Was it tought to get the wire off without skinning a knuckle?

#3 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:17 PM

i remove the rubber insert from the spark plug socket so that i can get the socket off easily from the spark plug when reinstalling it.

when removing the spark plug, i first pull the boot, then insert the spark plug socket, then a 3" extension, then a u joint, then a long extension and rachet. once the plug is loose, get to the plug in the reverse order. it can be done without raising the engine. just take your time. remember antiseize and also dielectric grease to make getting the wires off easier next time.

#4 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:57 PM

Originally posted by lmdew
.....The only way to make this job less of a pain would be to raise the engine.......

It's called a legacy. ;) :lol:

Because of the subframe spacers the outback uses, it makes the plugs hard to change. It's not so bad in the standard legacy as the motor sits higher in the bay (or the bay sits lower around the motor).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users