Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

14" rim off road tires

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Other than Swampers and General Grabber AT's, what else is out there for 14" tires? I mean in terms of actual off road, light truck tires, not snow tires.
Thanks,
Andy

#2 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,583 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Well there is MaxxisBighorn tires, 27" overall diamater (Still on a 14" rim) and those are super aggressive! but your gonna need a lift for 27" unless your gonna hack and hack.

Just my $0.02
-Tom :)

#3 Greenley

Greenley

EA81 Nut

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Gardnerville : Reno/Tahoe

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Maxxis Bighorn(link)
Those seem to be the only M/T available in 27x14.

It's a shame the Kumho Ventures are off the market.

#4 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,583 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Maxxis Bighorn(link)
Those seem to be the only M/T available in 27x14.

It's a shame the Kumho Ventures are off the market.

They used to make the BFG All-Terrains in 14s aswell, Not no more :(
-Tom

#5 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Bighorns. I see that Maxxis also makes the Buckshot mudders in 27-8.50X14. They look slightly more aggressive than the Bighorns.
I was disappointed to see that BFG dropped the 14" size from both the AT and MT line.
So far the Generals are cheapest at $86 each from Tire Rack.
Anybody know of others?
Thanks,
Andy

#6 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

I believe that Wallyworld dropped their 14's, but the Uniroyal Liberators are still available in a 225/70R14. For the money and daily driving, I'd go with the AT2's.

#7 TeamCF

TeamCF

Rocker panel smasher

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

Firestone Destination A/T, they come in 14" sizes. 225/70/14 measures 26.5"

I'm running the Falken Radial AP. They are an RV tire that has a mild AT tread. Kind of a 4 row knobby type thing. Not as many plies as the better A/Ts and such but only about $80 a pop and I love them so far.
Mine are 205/75/14 (26.1" tall).

They come in all kinds of bigger sizes to. Only problem is they typically are a special order from the factory.

#8 Greenley

Greenley

EA81 Nut

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Gardnerville : Reno/Tahoe

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Bighorns. I see that Maxxis also makes the Buckshot mudders in 27-8.50X14. They look slightly more aggressive than the Bighorns.

The smallest size i've seen in the Maxxis Buckshot was 29", so i didn't mention it.

Tread pattern very similar to BFG/Khumo M/T. You shouldn't be disappointed.

#9 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

A couple tires I wish they still made:

Kumho Venture MTs & The Cooper Discoverer STT's. Both tires used to be available in a 205/75R14 size which was about 26.1" and worked perfectly on most mildly lifted subies (take a look at Greenleys ride for instance).

When I bought my Kumho's I was told I got the last set TireRack.com had in stock and was not planning on ordering anymore. Then I heard Kumho pulled that size, but then re-released it and then pulled it again. Maybe do some homework and find a used set or a shop somewhere who might have old stock on hand.

When I bought my Coopers (about 6 years now) I knew they were pulling that tire size soon. So i called around to all the local cooper tire dealers asking about that tire & size, and lucked out. I found a shop in West Sacramento that had 3 in the back they could not sell and gave me a killer deal on them along with ordering 1 more to make a complete set.

Both tires worked extremely good off-road and shared the same dog-bone style tread pattern. The kumho's did feel stiffer and appear to be a better overall tire but both were still awesome off-road!

#10 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

You can still get 28" Super Swampers (in bias ply) here:
http://4wheelonline....ires.344.124022

SIZE INTERCO NUMBER LBS PLY SKID DEPTH TREAD WIDTH REVS/ MILE RIM MAX PSI MAX LOAD

28X8.50-14LT SAM-06 31 4 20/32 7.0 758 14x6.5 30 1310

#11 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Other than Swampers and General Grabber ATs

Yeah, the TSL (bias ply), TSL Radial, and Swamper SSR are all still available in 14". The Radials are 225/85R14 (28.7"), the TSLs are 28x8.50-14 (27.4") and the SSRs are 27x9.50-14 (27.5").
Andy

#12 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

yep ive got the SSR TSL's on my wagon, 27X9.50 14's and love them. i DD this car and take it out and kick the junk out of it and it loves it

#13 cmiller

cmiller

Flat 4

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Tigard, OR

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

The TSL's look pretty good to me, seen a few subies running them and they seemed to do well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users