Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lsd

ok how do i find out if i got a LSD in the front end, and if i dont, how do i get one. do i pull it uot of another car, or change tranny's, or what, also how do i find out if i got one in back too, also find out what gears i got.

Thanks

Shean

1986 Subaru GL wagon 1.8lt 5sp D/R

Unless someone changed it, you don't have an LSD.

LSDs in EA82 cars are 3.70, they come from RXs and GL-10s with FT4wd(manual) best way to get one is from someone on the board or at a junkyard. Inorder to use one, you will have to change your tranny or change the LSD to a 3.90.

Somw legacies had a 3.9 VLSD that is a straight swap

sorry scooby, I'm hijackin this thread

I see that some memebers have LSD in the front.....

I realize my GL doesnt have LSD, but what do I have do to, to convert my front over to LSD?

we had the discussion early this month on one of my threads about LSD in the back..... better for ice is what was said..

Is LSD in the front Effective? or should I just leave it Open diff

There's a company that will convert it for you.... you have to send them your front diff. but basically, you have to dissasemble the transmission - not fun, and rather hairy. Some special tools are needed, and a manual is an absolute must. There's a couple of places where you must dissasemble in a certain order, or it all goes to hell in a handbasket rather quickly. (ie - dropping small parts down into no-mans land, then having to retrieve them by dissasembling MORE stuff in there..... bad times).

As I understood it, 89 was the only year with *stock* LSD's. All other years were an option, and not all came with them. Except the RX of course.

GD

Good lord - all you have to do is jack up the rear end, and turn one tire. If the other turns the same direction, it's an LSD. Or you can look at the sticker on the diff......

You don't have to swap the tranny - just the rear diff. It's pretty easy really. The hard part is converting a 3.7 LSD to a 3.9. But even that isn't that hard.

GD

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Good lord - all you have to do is jack up the rear end, and turn one tire. If the other turns the same direction, it's an LSD. Or you can look at the sticker on the diff......

You don't have to swap the tranny - just the rear diff. It's pretty easy really. The hard part is converting a 3.7 LSD to a 3.9. But even that isn't that hard.

GD

well i wanted front and rear LSD's, or LSD in the front and a lincoln locker in the rear.

if you want front lsd, it would have to be custom made. rear lsd, find a FT4WD 5spd XT6 and pull the 3.9 lsd out and bolt it into your wagon, or find a 3.7 out of an RX ot FT4wd GL-10 and follow the instructions in the USRM to make it a 3.9.. or get a VLSD from a turbo legacy

What are you going to use a front LSD for? The car doesnt look like it see's much off-road, and its not exactly a drag racer. Power to 1 tire should be fine, and for the amount of money your talking about spending, its not worth it.

Rear LSD's are cheaper (not by much) and alot easier. Start with that, then work your way up.

Just a suggestion

-Brian

well when i am done i will look like an auto X'er, im building custom sub frame connectors, boxing all the other stuff, making custom sway bars that are MUCH larger then stock, also replacing everything with polyurathane bushings. so it will be ably to out handle almost any car out there. also front and rear coil overs that im gonna make also.

Shean

he's gonna be down here in AZ. playing with me junkie. that should ileviate doubt of why he'd want one.

but with out a lot of cash. you can't get one in a stock tranny. if you are gonna spend that kind of cash. go down to mudrat and have a lift made like mine. then you'll get the lower gearing in low range and traction devices.

torxx--- lsd are good for offroad, better in the front than the rear. added traction for hard trails. the lincoln in the back is the best in the way of subaru out back traction. they aren't that great on ice in the front though. they pull you all over if the road ain't clear., not to mention make turning on ice a B#%$H. cause the car wants to go straight if you are going to fast. but in the front adds the best little subaru combo for traction and also able to drive on the street.

if you spend the 100k for the initial tooling and design. then yes it's possible. but we've never been able to get enough that'd be willing to chip in.

i talked to calmini about gear reduction kits. and they pretty much said we'd need about 100 people at 600+ dollars a kit. not enough people that are willing to spend the money.

i'd take out a large loan to help out getting something like that. but there's not enough people that have my type of outlook on wheeling. or at least in the subaru arena. there are a few. but not many. and surely not enough.

that's why i went to the divorced tcase. i didn't like hammering the skinny pedal. but would do it, cause i'm damn well gonna make that obstacle!! 2 traction devices and 3 times lower gearing. why not?

roo, also ive checked your web site to se how to build that darn lincoln locker, and the link doesn't work, so if anyone can get me the plans i would b very greatful.

but first i got a question, is the lincoln locker like a chevy or ford locker and lock the rear wheels so no matter what they turn the same speed, even when not in 4WD? because i want something like a LSD, then when wheelin, or rally'in, or autoX'ing i want it to lock up for more grip.