Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lsd

Originally posted by The Scooby

ok how do i find out if i got a LSD in the front end, and if i dont, how do i get one. do i pull it uot of another car, or change tranny's, or what, also how do i find out if i got one in back too, also find out what gears i got.

Thanks

Shean

1986 Subaru GL wagon 1.8lt 5sp D/R

Shean, you have mail.

there's a good reason the lincoln locker link won't work! cause there is no link yet. haven't got around to building that page yet. i'm working too much. there's still a lot of stuff that's no where near done on that site. think of a spool. that's basically what it is. like said before on another post. you can do a quick axle removal before you hit the trail. ie 15 minutes. otherwise while in fwd and an axle removed it drives as stock. but why would you want it to break loose off road?? in my experience that's a loss of traction and a loss of making that obstacle possibly. that's why i have a welded diff in the rear and a lsd in the front. the strongest way to build one is to weld the spider gears in all 4 corners, on bothsides, where the gears mesh together. and then weld the gears to the center shaft. that's the strongest way to do it. cause all of that metal is the same tool steel. the weaker way to weld it is the outer spider gears to the actual carrier housing. which is a way that it's more likely to break. do to the fact you are welding cast to tool steel.