Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No 3ed gear, infamous governor problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:56 PM

I lost 3ed gear in my AT3 ’87 GL wagon, just revs like its in neutral and it wont shift to 2ed by its self, I have to put it in 2ed. 1st and reverse seem fine, as does second once I shift it, 4WD seems fine. Is this the infamous governor problem or something else? Bad vacuum modulator (I doubt this, it would explain the no shift but not the slip). Also, does the governor valve problem always come with the “apple cored� gears or are they separate issues?

I guess I’ll tear into it, hope I can get it fixed for work tomorrow, but it doesn’t look good.

Gary

#2 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

Well that seems to have been it, I removed the governor, disassembled it, dressed all edges on both valve parts with a stone then 600 grit paper in the drill press, cleaned and reassembled, and all is right.

I wouldn’t have know where to look without info from this board …

Once Again the Day is Saved, Thanks to the USMB

Many thanks guys
Gary

P.S. the gear on the governor looked good so I’m assuming the one in the tranny is ok, this is a non-turbo car and the gear was steel so maybe it has been changed before? Also, I was able to chuck up the bigger valve spool piece in my drill press buy wrapping some electrical tape around the expanding arbor for my Dremel sanding drum. Those Dremels are one of the best tools ever.

#3 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:58 AM

No after 84 they were all steel. Probably the original

I would suggest if you haven't done so recently that you change your transmission fluid. They usually get gummed up because of microscopic pieces of dirt in the tranny fluid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users