Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru universal front end.

Originally posted by WagonsOnly

People have already compared the new look to Porsches, Alfas, BMWs, Fords and Buicks..... The new ones look...like plain vanilla Hertz Rent-A-Cars.

Porche, alfa and BMW don't seem like your run of the mill rental cars...

What would you compare an XT to?

One of those nasty 80s nissan Stanza's

to quote my man

"What would you compare an XT to?

a TR 7

a Honda Qualude

a BMW 8 series

a lump of melted ............

Subarus built butt ugly

and made to stay that way

Sorry I do not agree

the beauty is in the eye....

this is the response i got from Subaru Australia, all you have to do is tell them what you think and sometimes they might actually hear you .

Dear Camo

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru Australia.

Subaru appreciate the feedback you have been able to provide regarding our vehicle design, as it allows us to focus on areas that require our attention. The factory is particularly interested in the Australian market, as it is the third largest market in the world. As a result, our customers are able to regularly influence design and specification. Please be assured that your comments have been noted and will be forwarded to our marketing department for the information of our factory in Japan, who always take on board, constructive criticism.

Once again thank you for your e-mail.

Regards

Samar Tannous

Customer Relations Representative

Subaru (Aust) Pty. Limited

It looks like a fancy sports car. That's the impression I get at least.

Now if I was interested in a fancy sports car, I might be attracted to it (well... actually, I am attracted to it, and I'm attracted to fancy sports cars, but my repulsion to the speeding tickets I'd pick up in one of these is higher. Not to mention the repulsion my wallet creates when thinking about the price of one of these, or the repulsion created by thought of owning one and having someone fenderbend it in some parking lot somewhere...end rant). Where was I? :D

Anyhow, I love the look of my Loyale. It's something that people look at, and think "Man, that's ugly." Because ugly is something that I can take off-road, and not worry about denting, boogering, or scratching. That only adds to the ugliness factor. People don't seem to want to run into ugly cars, either. Once I get it lifted, then homemade bumpers, roofrack, skidplates, and brushguards put on (not to mention extra lighting), it's "solid-ugly." Which just intensifies that feeling that it was meant to go places other cars are not (especially station wagons), and that this is not a car that you want to mess with (or the owner).

First off, Alfa's were pretty ugly compared to your average italian sports car. (maybe that explains why alfa is a failure) Secondly, this front end looks more like a buick/chrysler cross than an alfa; with its lack of edges it in facts looks quite anti-alfa.

If you're going to imitate somebody, imitate somebody with taste. I vote that they should imitate Germans, not some americanized "italian" style. One would do quite well to imitate Mercedes. I like their station wagon design, and I noticed there was some similarity between the very new forester wagon and some mercedes wagons. They did quite well to move from the suv-look to a plush wagon look in the new foresters. check them out (rear end view).

Anyway, I think writing subaru is a good idea. If anybody is any good at letter writing, your effort would be appreciated. I may take the time to try do so too, perhaps.

Here's another idea:

Instead of giving all soobs a universal and totally banal front ends, why not bring the hatch back back in the form of a teardrop shaped car like the 911s and 912s. This would also open up the option of a convertible :).

• 2 weeks later...

"First off, Alfa's were pretty ugly compared to your average italian sports car. (maybe that explains why alfa is a failure)"

WOW WOW WOW Back the Alfa bashing up!

We have owned 2 alfa Gta's and a 1987 milano. None of which looked that Pugly. Alfa failed in the Us market because they were too maitenance needy. They are going strong in Europe! I can see where the grill looks sort of like a alfa. But it looks more like that weird car someone posted at the begining of this topic. Anyway, its just a grill! I love alfas :D (more so then that ugly subaru) I wonder how much it would cost to put that into production? Looks to be a $50k sports car. Anyway, I have to admit this alfa is pretty ugly...

spider_front.jpg

But they did make other cooler cars!

• 1 year later...

Beauty is such a subjective thing!

Personally, I think my 2005 2.5i Limited wagon is no "looker" but is a handsome vehicle. I also saw the '06 WRX STi with the new front end last night and liked it a lot. If that's the design signature for new Subaru's, fine with me.

Finally, Alfa Romeo has been making the most beautiful looking cars in the world for the past five years, hands down. Spend some time in Europe and you'll see.