Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine test stand

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

anyone made a stand to run an engine outside the car? it might be useful to run an ej from the bone yard before I get it all the way into my ea car...

I'd rather waste some time messing around outside the car rather than find a monster leak or dead cylinder etc etc and have to pull it out for a $5 seal :eek:

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

If you do all the routine seal stuff on the ej motors, they should be fine.

What parts/seals are you looking to replace before you stick it in your ea?

#3 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

I have no ej, I just want to be able to run one before I install it and thought someone here might have had the same idea, or deals in enough engines they made something for themselves...

#4 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:52 AM

Thought about it. Used to do this with the air-cooled VW's - simpler engines, electroincs, no coolant all made it easier.

If someone has a rig I'd love to see pics. I scrap cars often enough I could come up with the parts easy enough. Size and simplicity would be the issues.

#5 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

there we go, that's what I'm talking about

I used rolling stands on small aircraft engines, same thing, no coolant, lots simpler

#6 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 809 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

[quote name='Txakura']anyone made a stand to run an engine outside the QUOTE]

I modified the front 1/3 rd section of a f250 frame to test run Fe motors before install.

Maybe a donor ea/ej car and a sawzall could be made to do the same. I don't know how much of the front of the car could be cut away before the chassis became too unstable.

But,of course, the more you can remove,(i.e. fenders,core support),the
easier it would be to work with.

#7 STI_Wolf

STI_Wolf

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • chehalis WA

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

ive been looking into making one for myself. at least to be able to test EA series engines.

maybee we could work together and make a few of them.. i have alot of steel lying around and a couple regular engine stands, i just dont know where to begin really.. i think if a few of us joined forces we could slap a couple together in no time.

#8 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

almost be worth it to make a floater that wandered around to members that wanted to use it...

#9 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

talk to bratsrus1 he made one pretty simble job but it worked even had a key start. Rob.

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Honestly as easy as they are to remove and install the car is almost as good a test stand as any. With no radiator in it theres a lot of room.

#11 markjw

markjw

Elite Master of the Search Function

• Members
  • 809 posts
  • Lacey,Wash.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

Honestly as easy as they are to remove and install the car is almost as good a test stand as any. With no radiator in it theres a lot of room.

Probably why I haven't made one.

I don't even put a engine hoist on them anymore so long as my brother is around. We just lift um by hand.

For now,at least.:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users