Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new 1981 brat!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little of both. I couldn't find original Subaru seat belts for the back so I found some new ones for a sand rail and printed out some Subaru decals to stick on the unlatch tab. I completely disassemble the jump seat stuff and used a plastic bonding trim paint on all the plastic and rubber parts and hammer finish Rustoleum on all of the metal parts (after completely removing all the paint). That's about the jist of how I did just about everything on this project. Tons & Tons of labor and a few bucks too.

Soon it will be for sale on ebay though. I've desided that I have some more projects to finish up and not enough space to keep this one. Also it's hard for me to hang on to a car unless it's a project:)

So, are you buying new dealer parts or some how giving old parts new life?

Those jump seats look impeckable along with everything elson here this rig. Alot of work and money put into this, :) Looks great!

-Tom

Looks damn good and thats what matters.

Make sure you sell it to a true Subaru person, not some jag-off that won't treat it with the respect and love it deserves :)

-Tom

+1

And don't list it with less than 5,000 for a reserve.

I couldn't see this being worth any less than that.

Beautiful work man, just too bad that you won't be keeping her.

I would've loved to see that in at least one WCSS.

I bet you woulda whipped the first gen BRAT Category.

Twitch

Okay, so fixing the heater isn't as easy as just replacing the heater control valve like I thought. I do need to replace it, but it isn't the same unit as the ones found in gen 1 subarus. It has four prongs coming off of it, not 2. Also getting it out without removing the entire heating unit is impossible:-\. So I'm going to have to remove the entire heating unit and I might as well replace the heater core while I'm in there.

Anyone know if the heater control valve is unique to the 1981 BRAT or did they put in a gen 2 style valve?

oooooo, that is a tempting offer:rolleyes:. I'd really hate to drive all that way with no heat though.:)

How about, I'll give you $1,147 cash for the Brat - you drive it to Waukesha, WI. Sound like a deal? This way you don't have to bother with the heater control :-p

-Tom :)

oooooo, that is a tempting offer:rolleyes:. I'd really hate to drive all that way with no heat though.:)

Ok, well then fix the heater and then drive over here, I'll give you an extra $30 bucks! :-p Tempting enough?

Haha, yes. I wouldn't take anything lower then $5200. So nice.

• 3 weeks later...

You are my new idol! Dang... I actually got a bit choked up reading the whole thread and seeing the progress. A beautiful job.

I'm trying to do somewhat the same on my 1981, though my budget is a bit more constrained. I'd love any and all tips as to where to get some of the more difficult little parts. I just posted a thread on how I made under hood bump stops for my Brat ('cause I couldn't find them anywhere and my local dealer is not exactly helpful).

Phenomenal work...!

-Ben

First thing you'll need to do is find 2 or 3 parts BRATs then go from there.:)

You are my new idol! Dang... I actually got a bit choked up reading the whole thread and seeing the progress. A beautiful job.

I'm trying to do somewhat the same on my 1981, though my budget is a bit more constrained. I'd love any and all tips as to where to get some of the more difficult little parts. I just posted a thread on how I made under hood bump stops for my Brat ('cause I couldn't find them anywhere and my local dealer is not exactly helpful).

Phenomenal work...!

-Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Brat! Not my color though. I HATE that year yellow, even when painted nice. I have an 81 just like it that I learned to drive in, I ended up thrashing it pretty bad and now its sitting in the yard rotting away. I have another 81 with the ea81 thats black, and I want to do it up nice like this one. And then sell it to someone on the east coast.:lol: