Ultimate Subaru Message Board

early 70's ff-1

These are new digs for me; just want to thank anybody who will listen. So, this afternoon I found a forlorn older vehicle sitting in a construction site. Being a typical gear head I have to know what it is. Walking up to what I thought was a Fiat shocked me when it turned out to be a 70's FF-1. Now I have always loved small european/asian cars and have owned early 80's Subaru’s, but this was the coolest. Way better that a Datsun 510 and that is a COOL little car. My question to the experts is if this car has no motor, no interior, no glass, no taillights and possibly no title but the platform looks to be solid is it worth the risk? Even If I can get it for free are all the parts it’s going to need (i.e. sourcing, shipping) going to break the project before I get started. I put a hurt on myself restoring a jeep cj-7 and all those parts a fairly easy to find. I guess I just need some reassurance before I bring another project home.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80021

Thats mine, you can read about the whole progress and whats involved if you wish.

The jist of it is that its harder to find parts for this car than any other Subaru ever sold here...

I've had the car for a couple years now, and just recently someone found one in a junkyard in PA that I managed to get some parts from (enough to have everything I need for mine).

HOWEVER, if you have any bodywork that needs doing, it might end up being that you need to go custom. Restoring it back to its original condition is almost impossible (especially for the interior).

The other problem areas are the unique front suspension/subframe layout that limits engine options, and the INBOARD front drum brakes which are impossible to find replacement shoes for. If anything major is missing in that area, it could be hard to find replacements.

If you had a whole car like I did to start with, it would be easier, but its not impossible and the majority of my costs so far have gone towards bodywork (rust repair and such).

I would grab it...

You mite be able to fine one that had been crashed that you mite be able to transfer the stuff over... or find one full of rust??? maybe if your lucky lol

Or go do a completely custom one off etc...

Ive always wanted to do something hard core and custom with my old 1400 GL coupe. mind you thats all complete, just full of rust and dead rego.

i say save it, even if you cant use it you might have the ablility to save one of very few of these cars that are still around, 360s are rare but comon in comparison to an ff1, i only know of maybe 5 that i know are around, and thats not many..... ff1s are rare even in japan....

even i fyou cant do anything with it you can for shure find somone that can help save it......

This is from the Subaru 360 club. If you are interested I can get his contact information.

Long-time Club member Charles Kepley in IL has a Subaru ff-1 with a rusty body but good mechanicals, engine, trans., suspension, brakes etc. He would like another member who has an ff-1 to get it and use the mechanical parts OR find an ff-1 with a good body and restore it with his engine etc.

:lol: NOW the guy near Chicago gives up. :lol:

We've heard that this one is not all that great.

"taintor" - pardon that,now to your situation. I don't know if you have a 2 door there or what. If you do,then there's a guy here with all glass and some other parts that'll help you out. Not sure how crazy you want to go but you're not going to even come anywhere close to a true restoration so just have fun with it.

I vote that you throw at least some money at it and take a stab....but that's because its your money and I'm an old school Subaru lover. - Post 360 that is.

Good luck.

What the heck! How does one stumble across an FF1 kicking around a construction site in Boston? And why couldnt i find it?

I say save it, no matter what. If you can get it save it. Even if there is anything left of it, it's worth it for the community in genral.

• 2 weeks later...