Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

6 lug conversion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardgabe

junkyardgabe

WRX Goal Accomplished!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Lisbon Falls

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:27 PM

are the hubs strong enough so that if you grind down the hub to properly seat the lugs on a 6 lug conv. that they won't crack or should i weld up the low spots and drill the hubs that way?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:32 PM

You don't have to grind them at all. They will still pull up fine once you tighten them down. And unless your doing it for mags, drilling the rims is definately easier. Many, many people are running drilled rims, and put them through hell. I've never heard of one breaking, except from improper installation.

GD

#3 Rossta86

Rossta86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Northern VA (Woodbridge)

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:39 PM

The way i did my 6 lug conversion was I frist drilled the hubs with a 9/16 bit? I think that was it. I had too grind down some of the sides of the studs to make them fit better. Then i actually ran it for atleast 500 miles with studs loose in the drilled holes. It does fine aslong as the lugs are tight. Once i got my welder and be came comfortable with it, i pulled my hubs off, bolted them to the wheel, then filled in the low spots and put a bead around the studs. One can argue which is better (drilling the hub or rim), but im just stating that this way worked fine. I probably would have drilled the rims, except the style of yota wheels i got could not be drilled right. I don't think i would try to grind the hub itself down, just because the metal is pretty hard.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:16 AM

my example was to use chevy 6 lug rims, like on 1/2 ton 140mmx6

what i did was use a soob hub, pop out 2 opposite studs, and then bult it to the rim. then i used the hub to drill through the rim, and i uses 21mm lug nuts, that still have the subaru m12 1.25 thread, and 60 deg seat. i had to grind away the center of the rim to fit the hub

there are other rims that will work, toyotas and such. im sure someoner can tell you about those.

but i say use a rim that is suitable to drill through, if you go that route

http://www.warpthree...sedanwheel.html

http://www.warpthree...XDoorsOpen.html

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users