Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is this part?!

IMG_3890%5B1%5D.jpg

my haynes repair manual calls it "solenoid valve 1" ... not very helpful.

on the back it says hitachi and AESUI28 or AESU128

i think it might be an EGR solenoid valve but im not sure - no parts people including the subaru dealership knew what it was ... so i figure ill put the internet to good use :)

basically the story is that someone prior to me had silicone ed the vacuum hose onto it(the mystery part) because the nipple the hose should attach to is broken off. the silicone has has decided to fall off causing a vacuum leak which causes the engine to idle poorly and has caused me to go hunting for a replacement instead of just ciliconeing it back on ...which i might just do

i do like me some long run on sentences

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey, ruparts,

My 1986 GL Loyale EA82 engine with a standard Hitachi, 2bbl carb has three of the suckers, and the wiring is color-coded - blue, black and white, I believe. They have parts numbers, all of them consisting of the following base number:

AESU128.

Two of them - AESU128-31 and AESU128-34 seem to be stacked, one on top of the other [how's that for redundancy?! : -) ] - while the third one, the AESU128-3 (I was wondering if it wasn't a "33", since the other two have two digits after the hyphen, and, indeed, a google search didn't turn up anything for a "3" whereas it did for a "33"... that second "3" digit is near the edge, where it may not have been properly engraved/ stamped, so I'm pretty sure that it is in fact a AESU128-33!).

I am having a nightmare with this because a neighbor who said he knows Subies like the palm of his hand apparently doesn't know even his own hand, because he just pulled off the three solenoid gizmos while I was removing something else, now he doesn't have a clue as to how they hook up... we were finally just trying to match the bends in the rubber tubes with the available metal pipes, but my whiz mech has removed the tubes so many times now that even that attempt has been shot in the rump roast [you think maybe the guy is trying to sabotage the effort?? : -)].

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anyone is knowledgeable - in a specific way - about this solenoid/ valve setup, and can tell me exactly where they go/ how they hook up, also taking the color coding into consideration. I can provide some photos of the solenoids/ valves tomorrow (they all three look EXACTLY alike in their core, i.e., less whatever knobs and "trumpets" extend out from the core). While trying to fit them in the available "slots", I managed to break off the tiny, trumpet-shaped, plastic filter on the end of the solo AESU128-33, but I'm thinking of just glueing it in place with Q-bond, rather than invest a fortune in a new one (it is not a moving part, nor a weight-bearing part).

So, ruparts, does the "ru" have anything to do with "Russian"? Just curious!

Do cvidanija! ("Until we meet")

subaruru  [Nope! Neither "ru" there has anything at all to do with "Russia"! : -) ]

• 6 months later...