Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who wants a Legacy Hi/Lo gearbox

kiwishooter

Hi This is Jerry if you can tell me the gear ratio and the cost to get the EJ tranny to Seattle i can drive there. Let me know i am very interested in getting a tranny. Oh BTW i know Callum i am dealing with him on XT brakes parts because he got me a EJ disty a really good guy. Thanks Jerry

I have phoned all the International exporters in Dunedin and they all ship into L.A, no one that I can find ships into Seattle, although one said he possibly could but you would have to pay for a whole container. And honestly I'm not sure I can find that many gearboxes.

So shipping would be into LA then by truck from there.

I am still waiting for the quote to ship to your address....Cheers Ian

I have had a clarification on the shipping, the quote will be for 1m3 or 1000kg.

So if the box measures 1m3 and weighs 1000kg or less it will be the quoted price, if the box measure 1m3 and weighs 1500kg the price for shipping will be for 1500kg, if the box measures 1.5m3 and weighs 1000kg the price for shipping will be for 1.5m3.

I am not sure how many gearboxes I will be able to get into a 1m3 box but think it will probably weigh less than 1000kg.

Subarutex

I am able to get some linkage and interior bits but it would come down to what is available.

As for condition unless I opened them up I am unable to guarantee them but I will make sure that they select all gears and they don't feel all notchy when turning the shafts.

As I put in a previous post I am not charging for my time and just want to recover ALL the costs so that when the deal is completed it hasn't cost me any money...just my time which I am donating free of charge.

If people want gearboxes opened up and inspected then I will charge for that.

I may have room to include a few smaller items in with the gearboxes...like linkages etc.

Ian

I'm still stuck at this centre diff lock in an EJ gearbox... So the Lego's that came with these boxes had an EJ18 then? None of the EJ D/R boxes we got in Aus had centre diff locks. But I would be extremely interested in getting one of those in the future soonish. Are they VLSD still? Or is it like the older EA82 RX FT4WD gearbox centre diff lock which was an open diff?

I'm not sure if any of them are VLSD or not, which gearboxes had VLSD, the RX gearbox I took the locking centre diff off had an open centre diff.

This is probably a one off offer as I took a look around the wrecking yard and found about 8 - 10 Legacy EJ Hi/Lo gearboxes, but not all of them had a locking centre diff and some of the ones with locking centre diff have had the vacuum shifting mechanism removed.

I found about 4 EA82's with locking centre diff's so could if needed convert 4 legacy gearboxes that dont have locking centre diff.

Since I only found 8-10 gearboxes I did some phoning round a few other wreckers and the cheapest I can find these gearboxes elsewhere is NZ$600 including GST and probably another $50 freight to get each gearbox to me.

When I find out the final shipping costs and find out the cost of transfering the funds to NZ I will post a final price per gearbox landed in Seattle WA.

Ian

Problem with the EA82 FT4WD centre locking diffs is your stuck with the FT4WD pinion shaft which makes you stuck with either 3.7 (from 80's RX) or 3.9 (from XT6) ratio front diff. Now if the EJ with locking centre diff you are talking about uses a standard EJ pinion shaft, that means we could possibly use 4.11 or 4.44 as well. Although 4.44 won't fit with a low range without a fair bit of grinding to the crown wheel but eh that's another story.

Kiwishooter,

There is some confusion here -

Are you very SURE its an EA or EJ Box?

Can you clarify that please?

Sounds like its out from 1800 L Series which is also badged as Legacy but its really L Series with EA82 engine & EA box.

Cheers

AP

AP,

The L series was never badged as a Legacy in New Zealand.

These are EJ Legacy gearboxes, I do know the diffeence between an EJ and a EA, just as well as I know the difference between a Legacy and an L series. I have never seen a EA engine and gearbox fitted to a Legacy from the factory.

Here in NZ the Legacy 89-92 came out with an EJ 1.8 SOHC. EJ 2.0 SOHC and EJ 2.2 SOHC engines and these had one of the following manual gearbox, 5 speed 2WD, 5 speed FT4WD, 5 speed with Hi/Lo, 5 speed with locking centre diff, or 5 speed Hi/Lo and locking centre diff.

All these gearboxes are still bolted into Legacy's so it's very easy to tell what they come out of.

Ian

AP,

The L series was never badged as a Legacy in New Zealand.

These are EJ Legacy gearboxes, I do know the diffeence between an EJ and a EA, just as well as I know the difference between a Legacy and an L series. I have never seen a EA engine and gearbox fitted to a Legacy from the factory.

Here in NZ the Legacy 89-92 came out with an EJ 1.8 SOHC. EJ 2.0 SOHC and EJ 2.2 SOHC engines and these had one of the following manual gearbox, 5 speed 2WD, 5 speed FT4WD, 5 speed with Hi/Lo, 5 speed with locking centre diff, or 5 speed Hi/Lo and locking centre diff.

All these gearboxes are still bolted into Legacy's so it's very easy to tell what they come out of.

Ian

Righto - can you show us some pictures and specifications of the gearboxes? Even part numbers would be great.. I'm interested as well but I dunno about the shipping to australia. I'm mainly interested on the transfer case off from AWD with diff locker.

Cheers

AP

I would LOVE to have one of those gear boxes. it would work sweet as hell in my project EJ powered Loyale. high compression DOHC 2.5 with a EJ dual range 4.11 would be killer! keep me informed. I'd prefer to have mine shipped to seattle where my sister could pick it up and get it shipped up here to alaska for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Right, following a few requests for a Legacy gearbox with Hi/Lo and diff lock I have made a few enquiries about the cost of shipping some to the USA.

The shipping would be by sea and they would land in L.A but at this stage I am still waiting on costs.

I would need an address to send them to in the US and then they would have to be distributed to the purchasers.

What I am proposing is that I will purchase as many gearboxes as people order and pay for, build a crate and package them. Then arrange to ship them to the US. I don't need paid for the box or my time, all I need is to cover the purchase cost of the gearboxes and any shipping costs.

If you are interested then please PM me so I can get an idea of how many gearboxes I would need to source. The cost of the gearboxes is NZ$300 each, if I am buying 5 or more plus the cost of shipping. I can accept payment to a US address, but the cost of transfering the funds to me in New Zealand would have to be added.

So let me know if you are interested.

That's pretty good. Have a blessed and great day guys!!!!

Watch Anime Online

• 9 months later...

Note that there wasn't a diff lock available on any EJ MT transmission, those vacuum boxes are for 'on-demand' 4WD so they are not full-time. Most EJ transmissions are though, and the D/R usually have a reduction of 1.4-1.5 and final gear is 3.900 or 4.111.

But I could be wrong and that Subaru supplied different units to Oceania :)