Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt turbo does it fit brat

The united states only got the Brat until 1987.

The turbo engine in the XT has overhead cams, and is wider than the engine in your Brat. They have been swapped before, so I know it can be done. But I believe you have to do some trimming to make it fit.

It should bolt right up to your tranny. However, the turbo motor requires a ECU so you have to swap all the wiring and computer with it.

there's little difference between the XT Turbo swap and the EJ (correct - impreza/legacy engines) swap.

either way you have to swap the wiring and computer.

EJ swap will require an adapter plate to be made since the bellhousings are different. but that's been done a zillion times and they can be bought or made. and other than that they drop right in, engine mounts line up and all that jazz.

the EJ engines are far more reliable and probably give you as much or more power than an XT. the old turbo motors are not a good fit without almost rebuilding them entirely. heads are prone to cracking, not a great platform design to begin with, headgaskets often blow, all the coolant, hoses, gaskets, radiators..entire cooling system should be replaced by now due to the extra stress and heat of a turbo. and oil supply lines, etc, just not worth it really.

the EJ engines are even good for low boost if you wanted to turbo or supercharge it.

swaps are covered in detail here and have been done by multiple folks, so you'll have all the resources you need either way you go.

No cutting or welding required - you buy an adaptor plate (there are several folks that make them), redrill an EA82 flywheel and bolt it up to the existing transmission. The engine mounts basically line up - there's some fitting to do with the radiator fans as they have to be moved in front of the radiator, and then the radiator hoses have to be adapted to the older radiator. Then it's just wiring to piggy-back the fuel/ignition system to the car's existing harness.

Pretty easy 135 HP swap. Although I think most of the Legacy/Impreza engines in the UK are EJ20's. The US market got the EJ18 and the EJ22. I think the UK market mostly got the EJ15 and the EJ20. They only got the EJ22T in the 22B impreza (rare and expensive).

GD

there's little difference between the XT Turbo swap and the EJ (correct - impreza/legacy engines) swap.

There is a LOT of difference. The EJ swap does not require modification to the engine cross-member to clear the turbo exhaust, and the EA82T is too wide to fit between the frame rails - the drivers side rail has to be cut and boxed in, and the hill holder has to be moved. No major mechanical changes like these have to be made to fit the EJ's as they are narrower than the EA82.

GD

my bad, i didn't mean little difference technically so much as time commitment. build an adapter plate and swapping a cross member seemed roughly comparable in terms of time. now as for cutting...yeah that sucks, i thought it was only the XT6 engine that required that.

cutting a frame rail would deter myself.

can see now ej is way to go, so fiting the turbo version would be as easy as the non turbo? and where can you get the adapted plates for the gearbox or is it just as easy fiting the ej gearbox and getting a prop manufactured up?

thanks for help guys really appreciate it

wow, the chance to get EA82 in the UK, i think ive only seen it once! and that was non turbo

i would get hold of the engine if you can anyways especially if you can get the rest of the bits to go with it, theres somone with a truck bout 15 miles away from me with a EA82T conversion, it was on ebay a few years back

keep hold of it, and i might have it off you one day! :P