Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red Sedan Build , solid rear axle

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#101 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

been lookin at the car and lookin at different options, pros and cons heres a list............................................................................2nd tranfer case Lower gears,weaker front diff studs because Im using a rear Diff Higher center of gravity as the engine and transaxle would be in stock height more weight with 2nd transfercase and frame to mount it,also second crossmember for engine support and 3 drive shafts instead of 1
keep stock transaxle................. lower center gravity , better clearence mid car, less of a aproach angle , less weight, less parts, less engineering, only one driveshaft to have made not 2

#102 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

got the car moved today, its now back it the corner all so started some major cleanup found the back wall of the shop, its been 10 years since I saw that area, moved the new to me bandsaw in place , moved the wood stove out next for a steel rack on the back wall

#103 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

you have stayed "easy" for the last few cars..:lol:come on scott..:grin:cheers, brian

#104 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

If I may make a suggestion:

Lower the T case an inch or so.The input drive shaft looks to be at a bit to steep of an angle for reliable power delivery.From what ive heard a 5-10* angle on the drive shaft is about all thats practical before it starts binding up.10* of free standing angle is a bit extreme for U joints.It may work but it would probally wear out really fast.

On the other hand,the U joint is just spinning with no up or down travel so it might work...Again I don't know how long U joints will last.

#105 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

been lookin at the car and lookin at different options, pros and cons heres a list............................................................................2nd tranfer case Lower gears,weaker front diff studs because Im using a rear Diff Higher center of gravity as the engine and transaxle would be in stock height more weight with 2nd transfercase and frame to mount it,also second crossmember for engine support and 3 drive shafts instead of 1
keep stock transaxle................. lower center gravity , better clearence mid car, less of a aproach angle , less weight, less parts, less engineering, only one driveshaft to have made not 2

if you just go solid in the rear without a t-case (keep stock transaxle) as front wheel drivers, unless you lock it, you are still going to be limited to doing the same things a regular lifted soob with a welded rear does...

I originally thought I'd keep the stock fuel tank, but it's have to sit so high to do so, you lose your low center of gravity advantage...

When Chris designed mine, it was basically, set the ride height and then engineer the stuff around it so it will work at that height... another guy in my club has a jeep with 35's under it, not sure how much lift, but I'me a good 12" shorter than he is (top of vehicle). a lot of that is inherent in the design of the soob body, but it helps... I can still duck under trees pretty well....

#106 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

you have stayed "easy" for the last few cars..:lol:come on scott..:grin:cheers, brian

EASY you dont remember that silver car that saved your ( Dodge) 2-1/2 years ago??, that thing wasnt "easy" has a 2nd tranny and transfercase , 9" lift and modified body, come on Brian Ill challenge you to a build off and we will meet up this summer and compete our 2 soobies side by side and see what happens , I realy like my ole white car just want somthin a little better that will not break :banana::):eek::banana:

#107 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

Build off!?! :slobber:

:popcorn:

A little "friendly" competition never hurts. :grin:

#108 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

BUILD OFF!!

BUILD OFF!!

(chanting)

:popcorn:

#109 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

oh, i'm not really into competition......and you have more space and resource than i do.I know you are a competent builder scott.and really, if you think about it...that car would be easy to build again,because you have already done it once:)and i said for th elast few cars,(yours or not)

i was just responding to "giving up eaayy?":lol:
cheers, brian
oh, and by the way, as long as it is FRIENDLY competition...i'll think about it.:banana:

EASY you dont remember that silver car that saved your ( Dodge) 2-1/2 years ago??, that thing wasnt "easy" has a 2nd tranny and transfercase , 9" lift and modified body, come on Brian Ill challenge you to a build off and we will meet up this summer and compete our 2 soobies side by side and see what happens , I realy like my ole white car just want somthin a little better that will not break :banana::):eek::banana:

#110 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

OK decided which direction to go, I didnt really like the Nissan case its so tall and would need a framework to mount up , so I went out and picked up a Toyota 86 4runner 4x4 tranny with transfercase , checked it out tonight
Posted Image
Heres the Subaru clutch disc next to the Toyota one, the Toyota one has a bigger hole with more splines , subarus on the right, also the subby preasure plate has a larger throwout bearing and "hole" Posted Image
subbie center bearing slipped onto the Toyota pilot same size...Posted Image

Edited by Scott in Bellingham, 13 January 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#111 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

Heres the EJ FlywheelPosted Image
heres the EJ trannyPosted Imagewill need to cut the front off the tranny machine it down , cut the Toyota Bell housing in half Machine it down and weld the 2 halves together

#112 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

very cool idea! can't wait to see the result of this!

maybe throw some 4.7:1 gears in that tcase while it's out.

#113 NinjaTech

NinjaTech

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Lacey

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

So are you planning on using the Toyota clutch disc with the subaru flywheel and pressure plate? Also, will you be doing the welding on the bellhousing? I've heard from the TIG guys in my class that cast aluminum is a real pain to weld.

#114 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

So are you planning on using the Toyota clutch disc with the subaru flywheel and pressure plate? Also, will you be doing the welding on the bellhousing? I've heard from the TIG guys in my class that cast aluminum is a real pain to weld.

yes and yes

#115 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

Yes very cool. And i have 4.7:1 gears in my 4runner, i bet it would be ***************in in a subaru!

#116 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,751 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

Cool updates! Its coming along quite nicely.

C'mon 4.7:1 gearing!!

-TJD

#117 NinjaTech

NinjaTech

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Lacey

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

yes and yes

awesome. Are you going to be using TIG or a MIG with a spool gun?

#118 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

awesome. Are you going to be using tig or a mig with a spool gun?

tig

#119 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

How about the possibility of using the bellhousing portion of an EJ automatic?

#120 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

How about the possibility of using the bellhousing portion of an EJ automatic?

I got one its deeper then the toyota, and positions the starter back farther, maybe would work with a automatic starter not sure

#121 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,630 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

heres what Ive been thinkin for the rear flexizer , just a little mockup I did on a old Datsun model

Posted Image

#122 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

We need more subaru models, eh!?!
What kind of struts would you use with that setup? I assume they would be the only factor limiting flex. :banana:

#123 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

thats crap.......how are you even going to fit in the model?cheers, brian

#124 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Those tires will get you into the mud, but not out! :lol::banana:

#125 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,160 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

heres what Ive been thinkin for the rear flexizer , just a little mockup I did on a old Datsun model

Posted Image

if you don't move your fuel tank, that'll make you sit pretty high....

some good info....

http://www.alaska4x4...ead.php?t=25022

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users