Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Red Sedan Build , solid rear axle

Scott in Bellingham

been lookin at the car and lookin at different options, pros and cons heres a list............................................................................2nd tranfer case Lower gears,weaker front diff studs because Im using a rear Diff Higher center of gravity as the engine and transaxle would be in stock height more weight with 2nd transfercase and frame to mount it,also second crossmember for engine support and 3 drive shafts instead of 1

keep stock transaxle................. lower center gravity , better clearence mid car, less of a aproach angle , less weight, less parts, less engineering, only one driveshaft to have made not 2

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may make a suggestion:

Lower the T case an inch or so.The input drive shaft looks to be at a bit to steep of an angle for reliable power delivery.From what ive heard a 5-10* angle on the drive shaft is about all thats practical before it starts binding up.10* of free standing angle is a bit extreme for U joints.It may work but it would probally wear out really fast.

On the other hand,the U joint is just spinning with no up or down travel so it might work...Again I don't know how long U joints will last.

been lookin at the car and lookin at different options, pros and cons heres a list............................................................................2nd tranfer case Lower gears,weaker front diff studs because Im using a rear Diff Higher center of gravity as the engine and transaxle would be in stock height more weight with 2nd transfercase and frame to mount it,also second crossmember for engine support and 3 drive shafts instead of 1

keep stock transaxle................. lower center gravity , better clearence mid car, less of a aproach angle , less weight, less parts, less engineering, only one driveshaft to have made not 2

if you just go solid in the rear without a t-case (keep stock transaxle) as front wheel drivers, unless you lock it, you are still going to be limited to doing the same things a regular lifted soob with a welded rear does...

I originally thought I'd keep the stock fuel tank, but it's have to sit so high to do so, you lose your low center of gravity advantage...

When Chris designed mine, it was basically, set the ride height and then engineer the stuff around it so it will work at that height... another guy in my club has a jeep with 35's under it, not sure how much lift, but I'me a good 12" shorter than he is (top of vehicle). a lot of that is inherent in the design of the soob body, but it helps... I can still duck under trees pretty well....

you have stayed "easy" for the last few cars..:lol:come on scott..:grin:cheers, brian

EASY you dont remember that silver car that saved your ( Dodge) 2-1/2 years ago??, that thing wasnt "easy" has a 2nd tranny and transfercase , 9" lift and modified body, come on Brian Ill challenge you to a build off and we will meet up this summer and compete our 2 soobies side by side and see what happens , I realy like my ole white car just want somthin a little better that will not break :banana::):eek::banana:

oh, i'm not really into competition......and you have more space and resource than i do.I know you are a competent builder scott.and really, if you think about it...that car would be easy to build again,because you have already done it once:)and i said for th elast few cars,(yours or not)

i was just responding to "giving up eaayy?":lol:

cheers, brian

oh, and by the way, as long as it is FRIENDLY competition...i'll think about it.:banana:

EASY you dont remember that silver car that saved your ( Dodge) 2-1/2 years ago??, that thing wasnt "easy" has a 2nd tranny and transfercase , 9" lift and modified body, come on Brian Ill challenge you to a build off and we will meet up this summer and compete our 2 soobies side by side and see what happens , I realy like my ole white car just want somthin a little better that will not break :banana::):eek::banana:

OK decided which direction to go, I didnt really like the Nissan case its so tall and would need a framework to mount up , so I went out and picked up a Toyota 86 4runner 4x4 tranny with transfercase , checked it out tonight

4272650685_09b36e3c5d_o.jpg

Heres the Subaru clutch disc next to the Toyota one, the Toyota one has a bigger hole with more splines , subarus on the right, also the subby preasure plate has a larger throwout bearing and "hole" 4272650681_d20f50e5f0_o.jpg

subbie center bearing slipped onto the Toyota pilot same size...4272650679_651c1c284b_o.jpg

Edited by Scott in Bellingham

• 2 weeks later...