Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Red Sedan Build , solid rear axle

Scott in Bellingham

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott this is way off the subject but I was at PaP yesterday and there is a red sedan just like yours there with good doors and windows, on the passenger and drivers sides, Just figured I would give you a heads up about them............................

Jeff

Scott this is way off the subject but I was at PaP yesterday and there is a red sedan just like yours there with good doors and windows, on the passenger and drivers sides, Just figured I would give you a heads up about them............................

Jeff

jeff thanks bud I may go a different route say a modified wagon body, so the sedan may be ditched

got a little more done, been workin on the transfercase mount , I picked up another front driveline which I will use for the rear, so I had no drivelinesto made up :banana::banana:, just using Nissan 720 pickup parts with a soobie engine and body

been a cheep build so far,

for the record, and in my opinion. Using an exisiting frame and "just mounting" the body on it does not count as building a suby or even qualify it to be a suby any more. It is now just another vehicle mounted to a truck frame. I have seen many cars done this way, 69 camero, 57 belair etc, etc. Is it still a camero or belair, well yes, but none of its integrity or originality was used. In my opionion, its a cop out. Sure it may take a wee bit of fabricating to make some things work, but not as much as if it was to remain true to the art form of lifiting and getting a suby to do what they do via there own componants or parts.

Ok I am done ranting now...for a little while any way. :grin:

for the record, and in my opinion. Using an exisiting frame and "just mounting" the body on it does not count as building a suby or even qualify it to be a suby any more. It is now just another vehicle mounted to a truck frame. I have seen many cars done this way, 69 camero, 57 belair etc, etc. Is it still a camero or belair, well yes, but none of its integrity or originality was used. In my opionion, its a cop out. Sure it may take a wee bit of fabricating to make some things work, but not as much as if it was to remain true to the art form of lifiting and getting a suby to do what they do via there own componants or parts.

Ok I am done ranting now...for a little while any way. :grin:

problem is, you can take sooby parts only so far... hard to find a "purebred" wheeler. somethings always upgraded :grin:

problem is, you can take sooby parts only so far... hard to find a "purebred" wheeler. somethings always upgraded :grin:

I understand that...But that is not my point, I guess. For that matter why aren't we all just taking suby bodies and putting them on a frame and calling it good.

Take your rig for instance... In my oponion it is still subie. Even though you have straight axles, transfer case, etc, etc. But what makes it s subie still is that you built, you frame, worked out the angles, did the r & d, so on and so forth. You essentially built yours from scratch per se'.

Now I am not saying all this to dis repspect Scott by no means. He is a master builder, and fabricater. But for some reason sticking a car on an allready "built" frame where 90 % of the work is done for a person doesn't count.

Thats all I am trying to say. I guess I am being a bit of a purest and also a newb. After all the first time I ever went out wheeling in any thing it fell through the ice :mad::eek::confused:

Now you want to talk Baja, or hill climb that is different I have experiance in that for many years. But in reality I grew up around rods and the drag strip. So this whole wheeling thing is new to me. All I was really trying to do is a build something that could get me to some of the higher trail heads for my backpacking trips. :-\ I don't how it got taken so far...now it seems as if I have to back pedel a bit to get where I want. But that is a diferent thread. I have hijacked thsi one on my personal stuff long enough. :lol:

I understand that...But that is not my point, I guess. For that matter why aren't we all just taking suby bodies and putting them on a frame and calling it good.

Take your rig for instance... In my oponion it is still subie. Even though you have straight axles, transfer case, etc, etc. But what makes it s subie still is that you built, you frame, worked out the angles, did the r & d, so on and so forth. You essentially built yours from scratch per se'.

Now I am not saying all this to dis repspect Scott by no means. He is a master builder, and fabricater. But for some reason sticking a car on an allready "built" frame where 90 % of the work is done for a person doesn't count.

Thats all I am trying to say. I guess I am being a bit of a purest and also a newb. After all the first time I ever went out wheeling in any thing it fell through the ice :mad::eek::confused:

Now you want to talk Baja, or hill climb that is different I have experiance in that for many years. But in reality I grew up around rods and the drag strip. So this whole wheeling thing is new to me. All I was really trying to do is a build something that could get me to some of the higher trail heads for my backpacking trips. :-\ I don't how it got taken so far...now it seems as if I have to back pedel a bit to get where I want. But that is a diferent thread. I have hijacked thsi one on my personal stuff long enough. :lol:

My friend Chris (BlueJeep) was the designer/fabricator for my Brat. :)

I've made a snow plow mount for my mower :) ..... pales in comparison, but I'm learning.... I just broke too much soob stuff and didn't want to wait until I could make it myself (probably never)

Scott is making this his own though by going with the pivot suspension in the rear....

BTW Scott, ever ride in a vintage Ford? :grin:

.... I just broke too much soob stuff .....

that about says it all, Ive built many machines over the years Ive wheeled Subaru for the last 5 years , I know what they will do , I know what breaks and what doesnt, we wheel at Walker Valley and this new machine is built to tackle the trails and obsticles of that ORV park, I still have a yard full of Subaru based wheelers and I really like my white "5 Door" wheeler , this new machine some day will be pushed into the pile along with the others and I will move on to build somethng new to me , it may not be a " Subaru" but for the record I dont really care :rolleyes::banana::-\:eek::banana::banana:

To me, even if you drop in solid axles, T-case, Diffrent trannies ect.. As long as you still run the Flat-4, its still a Subaru. I've never seen a Subaru guy (Board member) not run the Boxer. Seems retarded to pull the Flat-4 and drop in a Inline-4 from a Jeep or a 350. If you don't run the Flat-4 then why bother with the Subaru chassis at all? Why not just start with a Jeep or whatever..?

I do like what you do with your Rigs Scott. Anyone seen that Loyale Bodied, Full Framed, GM 350ed rig? It was on some wheeler forum (Guy seems like a wongleflute) takes the heart of a Subaru out :rolleyes:

-Tom

• 3 weeks later...